Thursday, January 13, 2005

Got an answer to my e-mail to my friend Orhan who lives in Baku and is interested in resolving the Karabagh conflict in a peaceful way. Here is what Orhan wrote me and my response to him for those that are interested:

From: "orxan huseyinli"
Suject: hi again
To: ara_manoogian@yahoo.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:52:05 +0300

Yeah! I liked you! You want a peace ! Azerbaijani people wants peace too! But how we will get the peace if you dont wanna tio return back our land! Not Artsakh! The name thats land is Karabakh! ok? i hope we will get the peace! If you will return back our land, so we will live together how we lived a lot of years ago! But if you will not return back our land so we will get the peace with our blood! we are redy to shed our blood to give our life for our land! Because you occupied our mother land, our heard! And nobody cant live without his heard! do you understand me?! thats well! Armenia and azerbaijan did a lot of bad things together we did a lot of and you did a lot of too! But now we are looking for a peace ! Do you want peace?! we want ! if you want so return back our land! ok? end of discussion!
thanks a lot
with beat regrads,Orhan

I wrote:
From: ara_manoogian@yahoo.com
Suject: Re: hi again
To: "orxan huseyinli"
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:54:31 -0800 (PST)

Dear Orhan,

For thousands of years wars have been fought and won or lost. With war comes the gain or loss of land and in all the written history I have read, there has never been a case of lands won in war being given back. In Armenian history, many lands have been lost to the Turks and Azeris and so far to date, I have only seen lands recovered in the Karabagh war and that was by means of war. So if your expecting lands to be given back to Azerbaijan, even that land that they claim to be their heart, I’m sorry to tell you, it will probably not happen. During the Armenian genocide, we lost many lands and though I would love that land to be returned, I know there is almost no chance of that happening and if we ever get that land back, it will only happen after we too spill much more blood for it. The only way I see this conflict resolving itself in terms of land that is your heart coming back to you other than war is in a land exchange, which even that I am doubtful will happen.

Anyway Orhan, I understand your desires and agree that the best way to resolve our issues is with peace, but know that this dream that we share will be very difficult to realize. I hope that if we meet one day it is in some nice café over a cup of coffee rather than on the battlefield.

May peace be with us all,

Ara.

No comments:

Post a Comment