Thursday, October 24, 2002

Today was day 2 of wall construction.

My wall that was blown down by the �tornado� has now been cleared by my bulldozer and the new foundation was dug out by my excavator.

This is a big construction job, as the wall is 45 feet long and 12 feet high. The new foundation is deeper, wider and is going to be using up lots of cement and stones.

As the workers were working, my contractor told me that we needed to bring a truck of river rocks for the foundation and the sooner the better as the weather is changing and if it gets too cold we can�t do cement work.

I volunteered to take a crew with our dump truck and my contractor suggested that I gather up the neighborhood kids and go to a nearby abandoned Azeri settlement, where there are tons of river rocks.

My contactor called over his son to gather up the kids and next thing I know, we were on our way.

We found a bombed out house that had a wall made of river rocks and dirt. At first we worked individually to load the rocks into the truck. My contactor�s son suggested that I move the truck closer so we could stand above the wall and not have to lift the rocks up so high to get them into the truck. Another kid suggested that we form a chain so were not getting in each others way and next thing I know the truck was half full and the wall was gone.

It was great to see that these kids (ages 12 to 14) working together and no one was acting like he was the boss. They understood that there was a job to be done and when I got tired, I knew they too had to be tired, but no one complained and just kept on working.

We returned to my house with a truck load of river rocks and you should have seen the smile on the face of my contractor. I could tell that he was as proud of our kids as I was.

All I can say is there really is hope and if these kids represent the next generation (which they do), we will have this country back on its feet one day and it will be strong and prosperous.

Well I have to take a shower and fall asleep (which wont be hard to do). I�m sure I�ll be sore in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment