Thursday, October 31, 2002

I hope you haven�t had enough police stories, as today I once again log about a police stop here in Artsakh.

I was driving through the center of town here in Martuni and got stopped by one of our Martuni traffic cops.

Though he didn�t use a whistle, he did use a cane to signal me to stop. I stopped and he walked up to my car, introduced himself, like the procedure requires and asked to see my documents.

I presented my documents and as he was �looking them over� he apologized and said I only stopped you because today we have some visiting traffic police from Stepanagert to conduct a �raid� and have to check everyone�s documents to make sure they are in order and I have to make it look like I�m looking at your documents as they are watching me work. He finished and sent me on my way.

A little later I passed the center and our visitors from Stepanagert were still there and since I was driving slow so I could watch to see how they work, I had the privilege to observe a couple of cars that he signaled to stop, but they just kept on driving, ignoring him and not one of the cops did anything about it or seemed to really care.

I guess I�m not the only one that ignores the cops here and gets away with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment