Tuesday, December 16, 2003

The weather in Yerevan is getting colder by the day. It snowed yesterday and today but for the most part has melted away.

I’ve been keeping busy these days meeting with people and doing the things I do best.

I met the other day with some people who work with one of the larger organizations that collect money from the Diaspora to do projects here in Armenia.

We were talking about Artsakh and our condition and the subject of the church came up and my discontent with Barkev Srpazan, who I felt would serve our Church and the people of Artsakh best if he would step down since he has done things that are not exactly Christian and in the eyes of the youth and probably even the older part of the population (though they don’t say it outright maybe thinking it’s Amot), that Barkev Srpazan sets a double standard and why should we follow what he says when he does not follow what he preaches?

I mentioned that when the Church in Martuni is finished and he opens it, then it will be the last Church he opens in Artsakh before we embarrass he and run him out of Artsakh.

The people from the organization said that if we did that, it would be bad as Barkev Srpazan is the guy that gets the Diaspora to give money to the Church and if we run him out, we will turn off the Diaspora, who respect him.

I didn’t say anything since they made that comment as I was leaving, but all that ran through my head was that this is so Armenian. All they could think about is the money and who cares about our spiritual feeling. Is the Church not all about Belief, Hope and Love? Were did the importance of Money come into play? For me I would rather have a spiritually healthy people then a people who don’t believe in their religion and have lots of money.

Well I guess I’m going to be returning to Artsakh on Sunday and then on Monday I will have try to have my meeting with the mayor of Stepanagert about the projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment