Friday, November 08, 2002

It seems that my connection problems for basic internet are solved.

As for my phone connection problems being solved, that�s a totally different story.

My local line is still not working and it seems the only way I can call my neighbor is on my cell phone which cost me 1 dram per second. Just last month alone, I spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,000 dram on local calls that my 840 dram a month local phone should have taken care of.

It seems that the US and Russian governments have conformed to Azeribaijan demands to block calls to 3747 which is our country code.

I found this out the hard way when my internet connection was down and I had to talk to Mama Manoogian.

I called her and told her to call me back. I did this as it costs me to call the US somewhere in the neighborhood of 98 cents to $1.28 per minute, while calling here from the US is as low as 18 cents per minute.

After waiting for an hour, I called her back and learned that she had called 10 times and kept getting a busy signal on all my phones.

It was good to hear her voice, but at $1+ per minute the conversation only lasted 5 minutes :(

I e-mailed a couple of friends to try to call me and they too had the same experience. One mentioned that Azeribaijan had made demands to cut off our code and I guess America did just that.

I guess this one is not in my power to change on a local level, but hope that our people in America will deal with it so we can get our code back up and running.

One thing I will say is in our hands is this new Arab provider who will now profit from our code from being blocked has blocked most internet access to chat and services that allows one to talk on the internet for free. Netscape IM is not working (this was my live link to my family and friends in the world), nor does Yahoo games, which was a place I use to spend time playing backgammon with Turkish students from Turkey while chatting with them about their culture so I could better understand who our neighbors are.

I guess it�s our Arab providers hope that people will resort to making phone calls and paying their high prices for telecommunications that they have blocked services on the internet. Well no sir, I�m not going to put an extra dram in your Arab pocket. I�m going back to my old ways when I didn�t have any phone or T.V. and just spend more relaxing time to myself reading (via the internet). You may think you have found a loophole to create a monopoly on telecommunication, but if there is a way if ridding us of your presents from our country, you can be sure I will find it. I will also do my best not to make calls on my cell phone that can be avoided by just walking to my neighbor�s house and talking to them face to face. I would rather catch a cold doing that than giving you any extra money that you don�t deserve. Okay, maybe a little extra money from me would be worth not catching a cold, but let it be known I�m paying it in protest!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment