Monday, July 28, 2003

Oh lookie here, it's log number 5 of Ara's positive, life is good logs that I promised. Okay, let's not waste any time and get this over with.

Today was another great day, though today was a bit hotter than yesterday with warm winds offsetting the temperature change.

My day started a little bit late, as I had to wait for the people from the phone company to come check my Martuni phone line, which has had a bit of excess noise. I noticed it yesterday and mentioned it to my general manager last night, who immediately called the phone company. They came out this morning and fixed the problem. What great service, though I can only imagine what my general manager said to them to get them to act this fast.

I went to the summer day-care program to see how things were going and talk about extending the program with the sponsorship of the local well to do people. They loved the idea and warned me that not everyone will be willing to give, but added that with the right words, I just may be able to get the tightwads to loosen up a bit and teach them that a little helping hand gives one a good feeling.

I went to see the head of the tax office here in Martuni, who happened to be at the Mayor's house. He told me that he thought it was a good idea, but felt that this effort should be coordinated via the regional minister, who in his words said had the power to call 20 people and order them to give. I told him that when someone gives, they should not be ordered, but should do it because they want to. The mayor kept out of it when the head of the tax office wanted the mayor to side with him and just give a "I guess so" answer, but from his tone, it was more a no, I don't agree with you.

I went to visit one of the well to do merchants and learned that he had left for Yerevan yesterday and would not be back until the 5th of next month. His son Armen was home and is the one that manages things when his father is not around. Armen told me that he would talk to his father tonight or tomorrow, but was sure he would give something.

The other well to do merchant that I know for sure will give whatever I ask for was in Stepanagert, so tomorrow he is on my list of people to visit and get to make his donation.

Unfortunately, the former chief of police, left for Russia 2 days ago for a vacation. He was a for sure thing, as he has always given. Too bad.

In between this, I had a meeting with the assistant prosecutor, but since maybe this part of the day could be viewed by some as negative, I'll save this story for the next log.

A quick stop in at the stone factory to see how thing are was in order and then I made my way home, forgetting to stop at the store to get a tube of toothpaste, which I will do later on tonight, when the sun goes down and it starts to cool off a bit.

Well I hope you liked the last 5 logs, which I did my best to conceal from you the not so happy side of life here, which I can�t say there was that much of during the last 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment