Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Today was a day of running around for me here in Martuni.

The snow has stopped coming down and so far my apricot tree looks like it’s going to keep it’s peddles, but it also looks like we could get more snow.

Anyway, I did a bunch of running around and my last stop before lunch was the barbershop, where I got my ears lowered.

While having my hair cut, the barber and I were talking about the work we did in Dubai. He said that the whole thing was deplorable and all he can see right now is that this country is rotting from the inside out.

While talking, the radio was on a tuned into a station from Yerevan. A commercial in Russian came on and the barber pointed out that this is part of the problem too. The commercial was for a strip club called Omega. The barber said that this was something new and it probably makes people indifferent to such thing.

Lunch was at the Mayor’s house, where I mentioned the radio commercial for Omega and my future brother-in-law who is 17 and the Mayor’s wife said that there have been similar commercials on television for the last 3 years.

In our struggle to reduce indifference towards the problems we face, we need to study radio, television and other forms of advertisements to see what they are advertising and how it effects our people to see where changes need to be implemented so it does not add to our problems.

It would be a good idea to also take a good look at the educational and cultural structure to see what they are promoting, as well as what the Church is doing.

All these things should be added on our to-do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment