Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Another Monopoly is Formed in Armenia?

SHARES OF AVIASERVICE SOLD

Noyan Tapan
Feb 13 2006

YEREVAN, FEBRUARY 13, NOYAN TAPAN.
The company Aviaservice that provides land services at Zvartnots Airport has sold its shares to the newly founded company Zvartnots Holding. NT correspondent was informed from a reliable source that the transaction was concluded under a concessional agreement signed in 2002 between the Armenian government and the company Armenia International Airports - the manager of Zvartnots Airport. Based on it, Zvarnots' manager shall perform the function of providing all land services at the airport. This information was not refuted at the airport but no details were not given either.

To recap, Aviaservice is owned by the company Multi Group.

59 CRIMINALS SEARCHED BY OTHER STATES WERE ARRESTED IN ARMENIA IN 2005

Noyan Tapan
Feb 13 2006

YEREVAN, FEBRUARY 13, NOYAN TAPAN.
14885 criminals were searched by the police during 2005, 1936 or the 13% of them were found out (in 2004, 1780 criminals (the 12.2%) from 14552 were found). Besides that, as Hovhannes Hunanian, the Deputy Head of the RA Police informed at the February 10 press conference, 59 more criminals searched by other states were arrested by the police bodies of the country. It was also mentioned, that 11 cases of trafficking and 11 cases of acting as ponce were revealed in the country in 2005.

LAWYER MARINA JANOYAN WAS ATTACKED

A1+
| 17:18:29 | 13-02-2006 | Politics |


Today at about 02:20 p.m. on the Aleq Manoukyan street, near the central building of the Yerevan State University a car tried to run over lawyer Marina Janoyan.

The car pulled up abruptly and a 30-year-old tall and stout man came out. He approached Mrs. Janoyan and said with a bad Armenian, "Why do you compromise us? You'd better live quietly. Think about your life".

According to Mrs. Janoyan, those who warn her are representatives of the power structures, and the reason was the press conference she convened on February 9.

Let us remind you that the reason for the press conference was the murder of professor Joshua Hagland of the Yerevan State Linguistic University after V.
Brusov on May 17, 2004. Although almost two years have passed since then, the criminals have not been found. The Yerevan Prosecutor's Office has stopped the case.

During the press conference Mr. Janoyan hinted that the case was stopped with the order of high military officials. She represented a 10-point offer to the Prosecutor's Office asking to re-open the case.

As for the act of terror, Mr. Janoyan managed to memorize that the car was silver and its number started with "64". "Despite everything, I will not give up", Mrs. Janoyan told "A1+".

Monday, February 13, 2006

Armenian-Azerbaijani talks on Nagorny-Karabach fail in France

People's Daily Online, China
Feb 12 2006


The presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia ended Saturday their two-day talks in Rambouillet chateau south of Paris, without reaching any agreement on the Nagorny- Karabakh conflict.

The mediators of the OSCE (Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe) Minsk group -- Russia, United States, France - - announced that the negotiations had made no progress and that the issue was to be reexamined at the beginning of March in Washington.

"In spite of intense discussions, the parties' stand over some sensitive principles remained the same as what they had in recent months," the mediators said in a statement.

It also said that the presidents had ordered their ministers to explore new ways in view of a future settlement.

Russian, French and American mediators will meet at the beginning of March in Washington to negotiate among their three countries and examine the modalities of their future discussions with the ministers, the statement said, without giving further details.

The conflict started from February 1988, when the local assembly of Nagorno-Karabakh made a decision to secede from Azerbaijan and unite with Armenia. A total of 25,000 people died and hundreds of thousands others fled the enclave between 1988 and 1994. In spite of a ceasefire agreement signed in 1994, clashes remain frequent at the
borders.

Source: Xinhua

Ian Bremmer: the framework agreement on Karabakh practically ready

Regnum, Russia
Feb 12 2006

New York, 11 February 2006 (Regnum - website)
- The US State Department has great expectations concerning the meeting of the Armenian and Azerbaijani Presidents Robert Kocharyan and Ilham Aliyev in Rambouillet (France). On Thursday, an unnamed official of the US State Department called the meeting the most important event in the talks on Nagorno Karabakh for the last five years. Analysts say, in 2006 a breakthrough will be reached in settlement of the Nagorno Karabakh conflict that has lasted for 18 years. The hopes are backed by a recent stirring up in searching for settlement and by optimistic hints of the parties and mediators' representatives, reports BBC.

Answering the question whether a breakthrough is possible in solving `one of the most bloody conflicts in the post-Soviet territory,' spokesman for the Eurasia Group (New York), which assesses risks in conflict zones, Ian Bremmer said: `Talking to officials of Bush administration, it becomes clear that the parties are close to reaching a preliminary agreement. It seems to me, a framework agreement is practically ready.' As Bremmer thinks, the agreement on Nagorno Karabakh status can become the basis for the breakthrough. However, as the source says, if we judge from hard-edged statements by Aliyev and Kocharyan, and belligerent publications in Azerbaijani and Armenian press, it would be uneasy to reach such an agreement, reports PanARMENIAN.Net.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

10 VOTES WERE DECISIVE

A1+
| 21:06:23 | 08-02-2006 | Politics |


Answering the questions of the journalists, the NA Prime Minister Andranik Margaryan noted that Larissa Alaverdyan's candidacy is excluded, but there can be other candidates for the post of the Ombudsman.

According to the Prime Minister, he is for Armen Haroutyunyan not because he is the President's representative but because "I have known him for a long time and he is a good specialist". As for the opinion that Serge Sargsyan has a finger in it, then... "Are you going to connect me with whatever happens in this world?" the Defense Minister noted. In answer to "A1+" question if it is possible that Serge Sargsyan will become the nest Ombudsman, Mr. Sargsyan laughed.

As for why the elections failed today and if the reason was the disorganized coalition, the Prime Minister answered that 10 people did not participate in the elections, and this was were decisive. According to the Prime Minister there is nothing to worry about as the poll was closed.

As for the opposition candidate, the opinions are different. National Unity wants to insist on the candidacy of Ruben Torosyan, but according to our information the latter refuses. The Justice bloc will probably offer a new candidacy. They will make a decision tomorrow before the start of the NA session.

AZERBAIJANI MASS MEDIA DISFIGURED THE STATEMENT OF WCO SECRETARY GENERAL

YEREVAN, FEBRUARY 8. ARMINFO. Azerbaijani mass media disfigured the statement of the WCO (World Customs Organization) Secretary General Michel Danet and interpreted it to their benefit.

Last week 'Realniy Azerbaijan' on-line newspaper reported the statement of Mr. Danet: 'a part of the territory of Azerbaijan has been occupied by another state, and Azerbaijan can prevent growing drugs on the occupied territories by means of either diplomacy or military'. Mr. Danet allegedly stated that 'Azerbaijan has handed him documents proving that occupied territories are used for growing and transiting drugs'.

The Foreign Ministry of Armenia reports that in connection with the Azerbaijani publication, Armenian Embassy in Bruxelles addressed Michel Danet to comment the statements. In his written answer, February 7, Mr. Danet refuted the statements published by 'Realniy Azerbaijan'. According to the letter, on the press conference in Baku Mr. Danet was asked numerous questions about Nagorno-Karabakh, and to that he answered that WCO is not a political organization and that political matters must be considered by the authorities of the states. Mr. Danet adds that WCO has over 169 member-countries and he has never commented on the political situation in those states.

SERGE SARGSIAN: RECENT STATEMENT OF MAMEDIAROV DOSN'T ALLOW MAKE OPTIMISTIC FORCASTS FOR PEACEFUL SETTLEMENT OF NAGORNO KARABAKH CONFLICT

YEREVAN, FEBRUARY 8. ARMINFO. We could make more optimistic forcasts for the peaceful settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict, if not the recent statement of Elmar Mamediarov, Azeri Foreign Minister. Serge Sargsian, RA Defence Minister,satted about this today.

As for the attempts of the Azeri authorities to prepare the public opinion in Azerbaijan for the probable settlement of Nagorno Karabakh comflict, Mr. Sargsian stated it is hard to speak of the plans of the Azeri authorities."One can prepare the public opinion by direct and indirect means. Probably, the Azeri authorities have chosen the very indirect way of public opinion formation. Thus, till the end, even after achieving the probable Agreement,they will keep stating that the Azeri side won the victory," Serge Sargisan emphasized.

It's worth mentioning that Elmar Mamediarov tried hard to solve all doubts of those who suspect the Azeri people in sadistic-masochistic inclinations. Mamediarov made this sensational statement on ANS TV. On the eve of the Paris meeting of the presidents, Mamediarov again stated that Baku will not make principle concessions during the negotiations."In fact, we are offered to be raped and "make the pleasure last for 15 years," cherishing hopes that a miracle will happen and the Armenians of NKR will vote for including NKR in the structure of Azerbaijan. Perhaps, we made impression on the international community that the Azeri people are sadist-masochists, beacuse of our behaviour.But not in this extend," Mamediarov underscored.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Update: February 6, 2006

Dear Friends:

A new article has been posted on Hetq: http://www.hetq.am/eng/court/0602-naj.html
The article points out that 5 decisions have been handed down by 13 judges all saying that the Najarian case is a criminal case. The writer of the article asks, “Why are the investigators protecting a criminal at any cost and so openly, and why haven’t the courts’ decisions been implemented?” In the first line of the article, the writer also says that according to information he has received, the investigators have already received their “reward” for dismissing the case.

The Court of Appeals has rendered a powerful 8-page written decision supporting our claims. The court agreed with all other court decision. The judges wrote that George Najarian has been the victim of criminal actions and points out that this fact has been recognized by all three levels of Armenia’s criminal courts. The judges go on to say that since this is now established fact the investigators from the Prosecutor General’s Office must name the suspect. They have written: if it is not Grigor Igityan, than who is it ? Name the person.

The judges wrote: “It is indisputable that US citizen George Najarian is a victim of a crime, that direct property damage was caused to him in the result of a criminal act, such facts having been admitted by all three levels of courts of the Republic of Armenia, and by the investigation as well. All that is left to be done is to identify the person who committed the crime and bring that person to justice.”

These judges did not accept either what the investigators or our lawyers told them. Instead, they requested and reviewed all 13 volumes of evidence gathered by the investigators. Based on their review, the judges criticize the conduct of the investigation and the behavior of the investigators. They enumerate 1)what was not done correctly and what was not done at all; 2) failure of the investigators in their duty for accepting everything Igityan and his wife told them and ignoring all evidence contradicting their statements; 3) failure to put into effect the previous court decisions which become law when they are handed down. This, they note, is in itself a criminal offense.

In addition, the judges charged that the investigators tried to circumvent the law by doing foolish things as well. One instance that is quoted is that the investigators called Igityan’s wife in, showed her one of the court’s decisions and then asked her what she thought. On that basis, they again dismissed the case and ignored the court’s orders. This is, apparently, in the record.

With our appreciation for all the support you have given to us over these more than two years fighting this case. We are hoping that with this decision it will be possible to have another round of writing letters to key Republic of Armenia officials expressing your concern about the state and conduct of our case.

Attached are the list of persons and their email addresses letters went to last time -- they were received.

With our warmest regards,
Carolann and George

1. Foreign Ministry: Foreign Minister Vartan Oskanyan: info@armeniaforeignministry.com

2. Ministry of Justice: Minister Davit Harutyunyan: justice@justice.am

3. National Assembly: Speaker of the NA is Artur Baghdasaryan: speaker@parliament.am
(If this address bounces back, try: info@parliament.am)

4. President’s Press Office: Head of the Press Office Hasmik Petrossian: hasmik@president.am
Kocharian’s fax number is: 374-1-521-581

5. For the Prime Minister: http://www.gov.am/enversion/feed_back.htm

6. Minister of Defense Serge Sarkisyan’s spokesperson: shahsuvaryan@mail.ru

7. Advisor to the President on Anti-Corruption strategy: Bagrat Yesayan: adv_yesayan @president.am

Recent Cartoon Caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad

A statement on the subject of the cartoon caricatures of
the Prophet Muhammad in the western media,

"Martuni or Bust and its supporters condemn the recent publications of the caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad, which are openly political propaganda aimed at the adherents of the religion of Islam. The press outlets in Europe, that have recently published these insulting images, in our opinion, have not exceeded the freedom of expression but have gone beyond what is decently ethical. It has hurt large numbers of people and has dealt a blow to the rights of peaceful religiously believing persons everywhere."