In published Wikileaks three dispatches “Armenian dossier” American diplomats sound the alarm: the monstrous unemployment rate of Armenia forces many women to be occupied by prostitution. “To the panel already began to leave girls at the age of 11-12 years”, notes the ambassador of the USA in Armenia John Evans. More and more than parents they send into Turkey and United Arab Emirates their minor girls to the earnings. Meanwhile the authorities of the country do not see problem in the trade by people; the Attorney General of Armenia asserts that the prostitutes interrogated by diplomats lied to them, and it cites the ancient Armenian saying, which in the approximate transfer sounds as “[Khrani] us god from the evil, which goes from the prostitutes”. Transfer into the Russian language and primary publication - portal “Russian reporter”.
CONFIDENTIALLY DIVISION 01 OF 03 YEREVAN 001019 SIPDIS SIPDIS DEPT FOR EUR/CARC, DRL, G/TIP E.O. 12958: DATE OF THE REMOVAL OF SECURITY CLASSIFICATION: 07/28/2016 TEG: HSTC, KTIP, KWMN, KCRM, PHUM, PREL, PGOV, AM THE THEME: THE HISTORY OF THE PROSTITUTES: SEX AND TRADE BY PEOPLE IN [VANADZORE] Yerevan 00001019 001.2 OF 003 it is classified: Ambassador John [M]. Evans on the basis 1.4 (b, d)
1. (C) on the statements of prostitutes, police and representatives of the non-governmental organizations Of [vanadzora] - the third in the value by the city of Armenia - poverty and desperation are the basic reasons for trade by people in Armenia. We met with them on July 14 during the visit of city, in which the prostitutes are going to work after onset of dark on the circular transport junction, located next to the main church of city. We posed one and the same question to each of them: “That it is possible to make for the curtailment of trade by people in Armenia?” No one could answer, but all agreed that the unemployment forces women to sell itself in Armenia and outside the boundary, where it is possible to earn more than money, but also where to them do not frequently simply pay. They described to us that the girls at the age of 11-12 years already began to leave to the panel. The officer of the police said that sending their daughters into Turkey the parents understand well, as earn their children those money, which then send away home. We visited the urban slums, in which the prostitutes work for bread and fig in order by its own eyes to look to the conditions of their life. We left [Vanadzor] in the persuasion, that in Armenia it is necessary to assume more severe laws and to stiffen punishments. Prostitutes frequently deal in themselves in order to earn to the subsistence, and they will go to Turkey and to the United Arab Emirates because they hope to obtain there more than money. End of the brief SURVEY.
2. (SBU) we met with Aida in [Vanadzore] in the office [NGO] “hope and aid”, the working on the means organization “World Of vision”. This [NGO] organizes medical care and is carried out the distribution of free [prezervativov] to the large association of the prostitutes Of [vanadzora]. In 1998 someone proposed the work of dishwasher in Dubai with the wage of 500 dollars to Aida per month. Like many other women throughout the world, it accepted proposal in the hope for better future. Entire occurred then resembled the biography Of [opry] Of [uinfri] or the scenarios of the television series: immediately on the arrival in it they selected passport, placed into the hotel with tens of other girls and made it necessary to attend 20 clients during the day. They freed Aida in year in the course of police round-up. It returned to [Vanadzor] with its difficult economic position and it became to earn to the life and to the content of its seven-year-old daughter method - prostitution only accessible for it. After repatriation to it proposed work one of the [dubayskikh] souteneurs, who searched for girls in [Vanadzore] and tempted by their prospects for work in Dubai. According to Aida, by whom now already 36 years, it refused, since she knew that the recruiters always deceive.
3. (SBU) on each client Aida earns about 10 dollars, which on the average is about 300 dollars per month. She drinks in order to more easily transfer that how it is occupied. “These are still social conditions, she says. - We know that this is bad, but they are forced this to make”. Aida said to us that the U.S. Government must give days to recruiters, who convince of girls to go into Turkey or United Arab Emirates so that they would open the enterprises, at which the women will work instead of selling of themselves for the money. Its junior 22-year sister Of [suzi] began to be occupied by prostitution only two months ago after divorce, after remaining one without the means to existence with two children on the hands. During conversation Aida made noise, she laughed and joked, and [Suzi] it appeared [poteryanno] and [podavlenno]. It seemed that Aida was subdued to her fate. She says that as she is many similar.
ANOTHER VARIETY OF ILLICIT TRAFFIC
4. (SBU) we went into [Vanadzor], expecting to hear histories about the illegal smuggling of the people through the boundary and about the girls, by the fraud of those enticed in the network of prostitution. We encountered considerably more prosaic things. According to Aida and [Suzi], only very a few women from [Vanadzora] by fraud they entice into the bordellos of Dubai or Istanbul. Today they will go there, knowing how will be occupied, on the official passports, with the official visas, and in the majority of the cases even they do not give bribes to frontier-guards so that them they would allow to leave from the country. They occupy places in the buses and the aircraft together with the salesmen of clothing, who leave abroad after the new material lot, and by tourists from the middle class. The minor girls, [edushchikh] into Turkey on the buses, has herself written permission to the trip from the parents. In this case the parents in the majority of the cases themselves send their there daughters, wonderful knowing how will be be occupied their young [Anakhity] and [Arminy], and as earned several hundred dollars, which they send monthly to them home. Although prostitute and the colleagues OF [NGO], with whom we met, and say that they are sometimes turned in the bordellos badly with the women, or that they pay to them not fully, they declare, that the majority of women as a whole perfectly well is understood how they will be occupied, and many of them by this time already worked as prostitutes on several years. At present the departure of women from Armenia is abroad in essence specified on the poor economy, but not by the activity of the criminal groups, which steal women and selling them into the servitude. Now this more greatly are occupied enterprising souteneurs, who use the fact that the women are already ready to be occupied by prostitution.
5. (SBU) A of such women is much in [Vanadzore]. [Satik] Of [grigoryan], collaborator [NGO] “hope and aid”, described to us that in [NGO] are registered more than 200 prostitutes. The statement of Aidas, that 70 percent of women in [Vanadzore] are prostitutes it caused smiles among the colleagues “hope and aid”. Although this number is overstated, it shows, to what extent is extended prostitution in [Vanadzore]. Prostitutes attend hospital for the regular inspections and for obtaining [prezervativov]. [Grigoryan] said to us that many prostitutes did not hear and they did not know about the means of contraception before they turned in “the hope and the aid”. It gave to Aida and [Suzi] on the tile of chocolate and the handfull of [prezervativov] before they left home.
SLUMS [VANADZORA]: DISEASES AND THE DESPERATION
6. (SBU) then we visited the habitable settlement in the environments Of [vanadzora], in which live the prostitutes. “Houses”, as the inhabitants of this settlement call their dwellings, are hovels from the rusty laminations, welded together in the construction, distantly similar to the cottage. Electricity and water sometimes here will be given. Houses lease for 2000 dramas per month, which is about five dollars. Houses were built at the end of the 80's as temporary dwelling for the people, which suffered from the earthquake. However, during the day of visit by us settlement its inhabitants were so distant from the passage into another place, as during the first day of its arrangement into the Ger. settlement it looked like neglected stand for the auto-trailers, in this case for its inhabitants the passage into the trailers would seem by a substantial improvement in its housing conditions.
7. (SBU) we entered into the house with an area of 20[kh]6 of feet, divided into two rooms. To the wall, pasted over by cheap newspapers and gypsum-pasteboard, was fastened the small cracked shell, forced by dirty plastic plates. Under the feet was the earth, [zastelennaya] instead of the carpet old clothing. In each room it stood two cots. When us they invited to squat to one of them, the damp pressed down mattress descended almost to the sex itself. Air was the stifling and fetid, filled smell of urine and putrefying products. On one of the cots is apathetic stale three year To [mariam], that suffers from the innate defect of heart. It undertook no attempts to drive off the flies, that creep on its face, but it smiled to us as the answer, when we turned themselves to it in the Armenian language. To [mariam] for its three years it appeared very small both thin and its mother said to us that the child although eats, in no way he grows. Together with To [mariam] lives 11 additional people, including its pregnant sister, who did not completely appear sufficiently adult in order already to be in the position. In the house there it was neither toilet nor kitchen range nor refrigerator, but there was the television set, on which mother together with their friend, who also carries out prostitution, they sat and looked the soap operas. The dishes with the remainders of food, covered by flies, stood on the window-sill after the being varied curtains. To [mariam] it took saucepan from the window-sill and began from it to eat.
8. (C) only man in the house was brother To [mariam], physically strong youth at the age from sixteen to nineteen years, that is occupied by begging on the streets. Thus far we were there, its mother asked [Grigoryan], no whether work for the youth. Before we left, [Grigoryan] reached one additional handful of [prezervativov] of its bag and transmitted to their mother To [mariam] and her friend. Of mothers To [mariam] they were necessary so that it no longer would become pregnant. It already for 40, and in it was in the past year abortion. When we left the house, our local collaborator, who accompanied attache, she said that it in the horror from living conditions To [mariam] and its family.
POLICE: THE ARMENIAN VICTIMS OF SEXUAL INDUSTRY MORE FREQUENTLY WILL GO TO TURKEY THAN TO THE UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
9. (C) to see small [Mariam] in this house to become even the more heart-rending spectacle in light of the information about how obtained by us young prostitutes they arrive in Turkey. [Rudik] Of [varosyan], the leader of division in the matters of minor in the police Of [vanadzora], described to us that the trade in minor becomes ever more vital problem for [Vanadzora]. He indicates that the majority of women of [Vanadzora], which leave for Turkey for the occupation by prostitution, make this deliberately, but they do not entice by there false promises. More and more than parents they send their there minor girls to the earnings, speaks [Varosyan], and it never encountered the cases, that someone of the young children left abroad without the official permission from the parents. “Some parents are proud of the fact that their children earn money there”, he said to us. It reported that the women and girls, who left into Turkey, usually are not held in the conclusion, and that they pay to them, although not always fully. After deportation the women frequently become recruiters for Turkish [sutenersh]. [Varosyan] said that to fight with the organizations of the deliveries of women for the boundary is heavy, since [sutenershi] usually they act through the mediators, with whom never they are encountered personally. When the police transfers the matter to law court, plant mediators, and [sutenersha], to which all this brought entirely small inconveniences, its occupation continues.
10. (C) although it was obvious that [Varosyan] to the heart closely assumes the position of young prostitutes, the local colleagues OF [NGO] said to us that in practice police herself frequently contributes to the development of prostitution. Arthur [Sakunts] from the Helsinki civil assembly described to us that its organization was assembled to verify charges from the side of local residents in the fact that the police Of [vanadzora] covers prostitutes and threatens with the fact of them, who attempts to throw his kind of occupations. (Note: Aida said to us that the police interfere withs her work, making it necessary to yearly pass medical care). Other colleagues OF [NGO] told about the cases of the patronage of prostitution from the side of the police. [Sakunts] confirmed the story Of [varosyana] about the parents, who force their daughters to become prostitutes. [Sakunts] also noted that the settlement “of houses” is the center of prostitution: this is the place of stay in [Vanadzore] of the large part of the women selling itself, which simultaneously serves as them and place of work. According to Aida, prostitute frequently they work for the packet of rice or for several pieces of bread.
11. (C) many people, which attend Armenia, see only Yerevan - with its beautiful areas, which sparkle By [khammerami] and BMW X5 - and think that the matters in the economy of the country go excellently. The Armenians and foreigners, who well know the country, frequently explain to visitors, that there is two Armenia - Yerevan and entire remaining country. Our trip to [Vanadzor] was for us as the turning of the little wheel of focusing sharpness in the binoculars: after a certain time we could clearly and distinctly examine picture in all its components. It would be simple, being located in the relatively satisfactory capital, to state that the problem relates exclusively to the region of legislative and law-enforcement agencies, and to knock by cam on the tables in the public organs, requiring them to strengthen work on the fight with this form of criminality. But knock by cam on the table will not change the situation, in which many prostitutes deal with their work in order to obtain to themselves although some subsistence, and that they believe in the possibility to earn more in Turkey and United Arab Emirates. Armenian government will not be able to improve situation in the economy with the aid of the stiffening of laws and carrying out of more severe sentences. Although this is also necessary, Armenia must propose to alternative to women, who carry out sale of their body in order to successfully fight with the trade by people.
CONFIDENTIALLY DIVISION 01 OF 03 YEREVAN 001091 SIPDIS SIPDIS DEPT FOR G/TIP, DRL AND EUR/CARC E.O.12958: DATE OF THE REMOVAL OF SECURITY CLASSIFICATION: 08/09/2016 TEG: KTIP, KWMN, KCRM, PREL, PGOV, PHUM, HSTC, AM, TU THE THEME: AMBASSADOR IMPELS ATTORNEY GENERAL TO INVESTIGATE STATEMENTS ABOUT THE ILLEGAL TRADE BY PEOPLE THE REFERENCE: A) Yerevan 484 B) Yerevan 836 C) Yerevan 840 Yerevan 00001091 001.2 OF 003 is classified: Ambassador John [M]. Evans on the basis 1.4 (b, d).
BRIEF IS THE SURVEY
1. (C) on August 8 ambassador, deputy of ambassador and attache conducted encounter with the Attorney General of Armenia [Agvanom] [Ovsepyanom], dedicated to statements about the incorrect conducting of consequence and charges in the participation to the trade by people. Occasion for the encounter became the case with three prostitutes, who declared about the fact that they crossed them from Armenia to Turkey through Georgia on the false documents, and then by force retained and did not pay threatening with arrest. [Ovsepyan] stated, that knows about the matter, and it on the move rejected these charges: however, it in the final analysis certified, that the matter will be [rassledovano]. Attorney General initially answered about the victims with contempt, and he said that it requested the service of national security to conduct investigation in the relation [NGO], which helped prostitutes. After prolonged considerations it began to adhere to the more satisfying us position. END OF THE BRIEF SURVEY.
PROSTITUTES DECLARE ABOUT THE CORRUPTION IN THE GENERAL PROCURATOR'S OFFICE
2. (C) on July 28 three assumed victims from [Gyumri] - the second largest Armenian city - were interrogated by the inspectors of the General Procurator's office. After examination the angered women broke in the Yerevan department [NGO] “hope and the aid”, that renders aid to prostitutes and to the victims of trade by people in order to be complained to the behavior of the inspectors Of [armena] Of [gasparyana] and [Aristakesa] Of [eremyana]. (COMMENTARY: [Eremyan] previously was charged with the participation in the trade by people (note A). The General Procurator's office conducted investigation through the fact of data of charges in February. In our opinion, the investigation was surface. END OF THE COMMENTARY).
3. (SBU) we met women in the office “hope and aid”, where thoroughly they had a talk with two of three prostitutes, By the [karinoy] Of [mkrtchan] and [Karinoy] Of [madoyan]. [Mkrtchan] stated that it and [Madoyan] in 2005 were sent Turkey, where it had to work as prostitutes on [sutenershu] Of [marianush] Arutyunyan. [Mkrtchan] said that soon after the arrival into Turkey of women they deported in the batumi in the Black Sea coast of Georgia. According to her, in [sutenershi] there were connection with the organization for the trade by people, which acted on the Georgian- Turkish boundary. Organization illegally transported women on one back into Turkey, pasting their photographs into the Georgian passport, and then sending passport back into Georgia for repeating the process of the adjustment of the following woman. Prostitutes described that after the return to Turkey of [sutenersha] it stated to them that they cannot from it leave, since they arrest them, when frontier-guards see in their Armenian passports dies about the deportation.
4. (SBU) [Madoyan] and [Mkrtchan] said that to them they paid only the part of the fact that they earned. [Mkrtchan], which worked on [sutenershu] four months, she indicated that obtained only about 1 000 of 10 000 dollars, which to it had to pay [sutenersha], and [Madoyan] stated that by it are still must 3 000 dollars in the year of work.
5. (SBU) about the illegal intersection of boundary it was declared the territorial police in Shiraq, where was brought the matter in the relation [sutenershi] according to the article about the illegal trade by people (for which is provided for pain severe punishment, than for the organization of occupation by prostitution). On July 19 the police transmitted the matter into the General Procurator's office, which trained for a new profession the matter in the organization of occupation by prostitution.
6. (SBU) [Mkrtchan] and [Madoyan] stated that allegedly the inspectors of the General Procurator's office Of [gasparyan] and [Eremyan] said to them to turn from the indications, given by them to the police. [Madoyan] also stated that [Eremyan] struck it face during the encounter on July 31. Among their complaints there was the fact that the inspectors ordered them to state that [sutenersha] must by them less money than this be in reality, and that inspectors accused women of the fact that their statement in the police is caused by the desire to blackmail [sutenershu] for allegedly the perfect crime. (NOTE: In Armenia the inspectors through the criminal cases are located in the General Procurator's office, and therefore they relate to the judicial authority. The police works independently and it enters into the sphere of the activity of executive power. END OF THE NOTE)
7. (SBU) THE COMMENTARY: In the histories of those suffered there were some divergences. Questions with respect to mental capability of one of that suffered also arose. Thus, the general circumstances of the matter remain open to question. However, we are convinced that the basic facts of this history are precise. The authorities, which lead investigation, must seriously receive these assertions, but not reject them only because they experience the feeling of hostility to the victims. END OF THE COMMENTARY.
THE ARMENIANS HAVE ONE ANCIENT SAYING
8. (C) ambassador, deputy of ambassador and attache met with the Attorney General in order to emphasize entire seriousness of this matter - both very on themselves and as an example of the fight of the authorities of Armenia with illicit traffic by people. Ambassador in detail discussed a number of the advanced charges, and he emphasized that they are the excellent possibility for the General Procurator's office to demonstrate their adherence to a matter of opposition to illegal trade by people.
9. (C) Attorney General [Agvan] [Ovsepyan] was informed about the reason for conducting encounter. He openly smirked, when ambassador designated the theme of conversation. Before approaching the consideration of this concrete matter, [Ovsepyan] during several minutes transferred the achieved by the government of Armenia successes in the fight with illicit traffic by people. Then he said to us that already it heard about these charges in the week thus far from the service of national security, after adding that it already asked the service of national security to conduct investigation with respect to victims and [NGO], which stated into the public organs and occurred. (NOTE: Ambassador did not specially mention [NGO], but when attorney made this, ambassador confirmed involvement [NGO] into this matter. END OF THE NOTE).
10. (C) [Ovsepyan] said that it personally investigated all statements. According to him, the protocols of the matter clearly show that the prostitutes lied. It named them “irresponsible and [nezakonoposlushnymi]”, after saying into the mockery, that they were " guided by different interests in their daily life”. It repeatedly repeated, that the prostitutes were angered to the fact that the inspectors did not help them to obtain inversely from [sutenershi] [nevyplachennuyu] by it wage, and that their charges were caused by the desire to obtain money. It strongly protected [Eremyana]. (NOTE: This is not surprising taking into account the information, obtained by us from the elder inspector of subdivision on the fight with illicit traffic by people Of [armena] Of [boshnagyana] (if you please, ensure protection), that this inspector uses full support Of [ovsepyana] (reference B). END OF THE NOTE). [Ovsepyan] in the course of its passionate protection Of [eremyana] quoted one Armenian saying, which in the approximate transfer sounds as “[Khrani] us god from the evil, which goes from the prostitutes”.
ATTORNEY GENERAL AGREED TO CONDUCT THE INVESTIGATION
11. (C) ambassador said that it was not agreeable with the saying, and that the general Christian values of our two countries call us “to hate crime, but to love its victims”. It expressed [Ovsepyanu] its preoccupation fact that the Attorney General asked the service of national security to conduct investigation with respect to prostitutes and [NGO], but not with respect to their statement. [Ovsepyan] stated that the error in the transfer here could steal in, and that in reality he said that it asked the service of national security to investigate statements, since the General Procurator's office must not conduct investigation in the relation. (NOTE: There was no error in transfer. END OF THE NOTE). Through several minutes Of [ovsepyan] said that the procuratorship in reality already week studies these statements, and that it will continue its investigation.
12. (C) finally, [Ovsepyan] agreed to conduct internal investigation with respect to the advanced charges. He said that will request [NGO] about the assistance. But it continued to repeat the phrases Of [eremyana] and to charge prostitutes with the lie. It also mentioned that [Eremyan] repeatedly requested to transfer it from the subdivision on the fight with the illegal trade by people, and that he will examine the possibility to satisfy this request.
COMMENTARY: THERE IS A CAUSE FOR UNREST, BUT YET NOT ALL IS LOST
13. (C) the behavior Of [ovsepyana] was intelligible and issued the personal attitude of Attorney General toward the victims of illegal trade by people and the connected with them matters. We think that we succeeded in, as a minimum, ensuring conducting the more serious investigation of this matter. We are intended further to follow this matter, and we experience optimism in connection with the fact that pressure with the support on MFA it will give our results, taking into account the preoccupation of President [Kocharyan] by the rating of Armenia in the sphere of illicit traffic by people (reference C). We will compulsorily draw attention to the fact that the periods of conducting intermediate estimation soon will come.
IT IS NONSECRET YEREVAN 000494 OFFICIAL SIPDIS STATE FOR DRL, EUR/CARC, INL/AAE JUDITH CAMPBELL DOJ/USDOJ FOR CATHERINE NEWCOMBE E.O. 12958: N/A TEG: PGOV, PREL, KTIP, KCRM, HSTC, AM THE THEME: ARMENIA CONTINUES PERSISTENTLY TO PURSUE IN THE CRIMINAL ORDER FOR THE TRADE BY PEOPLE THE REFERENCE: Yerevan 13
1. (SBU) on July 6 in Yerevan began the loud judicial hearing of the case about the trade by people, in which participate two Russian citizens. Defendants - mother and her daughter - are charged with the cart into Armenia of 24 girls from Russia and their use as [striptizersh]. Besides the trade by their people also they charge with the money laundering. This rigid legal prosecution is greeted by the U.S. Government, which spent years on the instruction in it of the government of Armenia for the introduction in the practical work. END OF THE BRIEF SURVEY.
MOTHER AND DAUGHTER - MERCHANTS BY THE PEOPLE
2. (SBU) as it was indicated in the telegram, Russian citizens Helen and Vera [Kalyakiny] were arrested in Yerevan in July 2008. Helen [Kalyakina] together with its civil husband by Vadim Taranov (it is located in the search in Russia) and daughter by Vera [Kalyakinoy] they collected and sent their victims into Armenia, where were used they as the dancers of strip tease since 2005. They found their victims in the Russian city Volgograd through the agency through job placement, and proposed to them the possibility to earn with the aid of the instruction and the performances of exotic dances and choreography. However, after the adjustment of those suffered into Armenia in them passports selected and with the aid of the violence or the threats of violence forced them to dance in the night clubs, taking away the money under the different devised pretexts earned by them. Some victims were in this position for a period of four years.
3. (SBU) against The [kalyakinykh] were advanced charges according to articles 132 and 132-1 (trade by people) criminal of the code of Armenia, and also according to article 190, which foresees punishment for the legalization of the cash resources, obtained criminally. This is the first case of criminal case for article about the trade by people, in which the authorities used position about the money laundering and froze the active memberships of those accused. The punishment in the form of the deprivation of freedom for the period from 7 to 12 years according to the article about illicit traffic by people, and from 6 to 12 years and seizures of property according to the article about the money laundering threatens to defendants. Is substantial the fact that the accusers try to qualify crime as “another the visible trade by people for the purpose of sexual operation”, but not as “trade by people for the purpose of the use of their work”. (NOTE: Embassy RF expressed no interest in the judicial matter, and, in contrast to the personnel of the embassy of the USA, the diplomatic representatives of Russia on the law court were not present. END OF THE NOTE)
THE AID WAS PROPOSED BY THAT SUFFERED
4. (SBU) when the police revealed the merchants by people in July 2008, she immediately proposed to 13 victims, retained at that time by criminals, protection and aid in the refuge for the victims of the merchants by people, which is located in Yerevan in [NGO] “the committee of the united methodologists on protection” (UMCOR). Seven suffered remained in Armenia, after continuing to work as dancers on the voluntary basis. Not less than five of them were present at the court sessions. One already gave indications, and the written indications of other victims will be introduced by law court as the proofs. (NOTE: For the elongation of entire this criminal case the police, attorneys and judge manifested very deferential attitude to those suffered, their in spite of compromised public position. END OF THE NOTE)
5. (SBU) we continue actively to follow the different criminal cases, excited in connection with the trade by people, examined in the Armenian vessels. The matter Of [kalyakinykh] is one of three judicial trials, which pass at present. We see and we greet the new level of maturity and desire of the law-enforcement and judicial organs of Armenia to strictly pursue the disturbers of law about the interdiction of commerce by people.
The above was translated via Babel Fish from http://armtoday.info/default.asp?Lang=_Ru&NewsID=38610&SectionID=0&RegionID=0&Date=02/07/2011&PagePosition=1