Sunday, February 17, 2002

A couple of my trees are getting ready to blossom due to all the warm weather we have been having and yesterday things changed and we got down below freezing. This is not good at all. Global-warming and its effects are being felt here. I�m not sure if this is a natural phenomenon or a byproduct of the world technological boom and the pollutants the �civilized world� is spewing into the atmosphere as a proximate result, causing a big hole in the o-zone and radical climate changes?

If the latter is true, then President Bush�s position of America, the country that has a fraction of the population of the world, yet produces the lion�s share of the harmful pollutants, not being able to make adjustments now to reduce said pollutants is quite disturbing. I understand that he is doing this so the spoiled people of America that are use to having their cake and the life sustaining cake of some other poor people living in Afghanistan or Armenia or one of the 194 nations not part of the G7 and eat what they can stuff in their big bellies and then tossing out what is left in their trash is what motivates him. What Mr. President I�m sure realizes but can�t admit to the world is that such actions do not make friends, but more enemies who are drastically effected by the policies he elects. And you wonder why America is having to fight a war on terrorism? The people of the 194+ nations will tell you that the real terrorist of the world is the G7. Even former President Clinton in his Richard Dimbleby Lecture hints at this.

I was watching a program on BBC some time back and it was about some students from the UK and America who went to help implement some benevolent project in some third-world country. The one comment that stuck in my head was this girl who I guess had been in that country for a month and saw many disturbing things. She concluded that much of the cause of the things she saw was due to what her country had done and was doing. She said if she had not come to see thing for herself, she would never know that her country had such bad policies. She said that she could see if the people of her country really knew how their government was representing them, they would not be happy. She also said something to the effect that if she stayed long enough, she would not want anything to do with her government. All I can say is I echo what she said.

One of my childhood memories was every morning in grammar school, standing before the American flag with my right hand over my heart (that�s how I learn right from left, but somehow thought my heart was on the left side of my body) saying the American pledge of allegiance. I didn�t really understand fully what the words meant other than understanding what �with liberty and justice for all� meant, but now I�m even questioning if I really did or do understand that.

Are American children brainwashed to believe the pledge so they will try to be fair with everyone? That�s what it did for me. How sad that so many people are blind to the fact that the American pledge of allegiance is now just a bunch of words. When you read beyond what American history books that public schools provide, you wonder if the pledge was ever anything more than just a bunch of words that sound really nice? My childhood dream of being part of the nation that makes sure that liberty and justice is something that everyone enjoys, is shattered by what I�ve read and seen with my own eyes here. One of the hard parts of my transition of living here is the reality of what the pledge really means and the real effects it has on people.

I guess when they say �God bless America� they say this in hopes that the bad karma and pollutants it spews will not come revisit it like it did on September 11. If the saying about doing something bad to someone will come back at you 10 fold is ture, then I'm sorry to say that September 11th is just a taste of what's to come. May God give America a double blessing, cause I think it needs it.

No comments:

Post a Comment