Sunday, May 05, 2002

Today I went to see the director of the wine factory about what is owed to the materials providers (being that I�m one of them)? He told me that there just didn�t seem to be money right now and they were barely able to pay the labor. He said that they should be paying us some time in the next week.

I asked if it made sense to him that the government could give to a group of people the wine factory for free, with the understanding that they would invest 250 million drams by December 31, 2002 to renovate it and to date they probably have not spent more than 5 million drams and are already having money problems? What is worse is that two of the partners I know to be very wealthy and influential. I wont mention on the internet who they are, but if I was to tell you, you would understand that there should be no reason for them not to have the money needed to not only pay us what they own us on time, but to have the majority of the renovation completed by the end of June, as the director told us they were planning to do.

My contactor�s wife said that if they don�t have the money, then they should not be doing the work in the first place and the government should have not given the factory to them without having the money first secured in the bank to show that they are going to be able to keep their end of the deal. Makes perfect sense to me.

I asked the director again about when we will start to bring building materials and he said he will let us know, but not now. I reminded him about how he had promised me that by the end of April, I would have enough profit from the materials I provided to cover the money I spent to fix my equipment. He remembered the conversation, but said that unfortunately, this is the way things worked out. He said that over a longer period of time I should have that covered and then some. For me, it�s not that big a deal as far as my financial well being, but I know one of the truck drivers that is providing materials spent quite a bit of money with the same expectations that I had and is now in debt and is not sure how he will pay back the people he barrowed money from. What�s worse is that he gets a daily reminder asking when he is going to pay.

My contractor was with me when I saw the director and the director asked my contractor what work they were going to be doing tomorrow. I contractor said that when tomorrow comes, they will see. Later he told me that the director will see for himself, as my contractor and many of the other workers have already decided not to show up to work. He said that this is the only way they will understand that we really are not happy with the games they have played with us and even those that do show up for work will not work wholeheartedly.

The whole day, wherever I went, all I heard about was the wine factory and how they are cheating people. One old man whose son was working there said that it is wrong that these people play with are nerves. What they are doing is very damaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment