Monday, December 17, 2001

This morning I have a reason to get an early start. Just before sunrise, I have to go to a friend�s house for Khash (boiled cow feet soup). Now that the weather is starting to get cold (the morning low is 40.8f) and New Years is nearing (more cows will be slaughtered), Khash will be a weekly occurrence for me. Not to say that I�m a fan of Khash, but I�ve never turned down an invitation to join a bunch of guys sitting next to a wood stove on a cold winters morning, eating boiled cow feet soup and drinking vodka (can life get any better than this?). The breaking of bread and adding of flavors (fresh garlic, vinegar and salt) is an indescribable almost religious experience which I recommend everyone participates in at least once. I�m not much of a drinker, but when it comes to Khash, once my stomach is lined with a thick layer of cow feet oil, vodka is not that difficult to swallow. Tradition calls for drinking an odd number of glasses and my limit is 3 half shots (25 grams each). Not to upset anyone, but I�ve been led to believe that eating of Khash is a men only deal (this is what I�ve observed). Not to say that woman don't sneak a taste here or there, but I suspect the usual jealous comments they make like �how could you eat that stuff, YUK� would indicate that they are hoping we will eat a little less, leaving more for them to eat or maybe use to wax the floor with when we leave. Well I�ve got to get going so I wont be late. I�m not sure what happens if you eat Khash after the sun comes up and I�m sure not going to find out today.

No comments:

Post a Comment