Monday, February 04, 2002

These last few days have been quite uneventful. I really have not gone far from home and being the weather is so nice, transportation has been my two feet. It�s really nice not to sit in a car. Though when on foot, I get many offers of a ride.

At times I feel like I�m retired, as I really don�t have a job that I have to report to, leaving lots of time for myself to do what I want. My phone rings all the time, not with a creditor calling to remind me of a debt that is pass-due, but a friend calling to see how I�m doing, or an invitation to come for a visit.

When I�m not spending time with friends, I�m reading or writing. I can�t believe how enriched my knowledge has become in the last 6 months, now that I have internet. Though I had internet in the U.S., I never had the time to really sit down and surf. And what is really great about this ability to expand my knowledge with the internet is that I have access to read up on subjects that interest my friends, which really add flavor to our conversations.

I remember my eldest brother once told me, the most that college gives to some is knowledge that will allow one to carry on an entertaining and informed conversation at a party. Well now that there is the internet, I guess you no longer need to go to college just to have an interesting conversation. I mean, it used to be: "Hi, I'm Ara. I have a bachelors in political science and am working my way up the corporate latter at Pep Boys Auto Parts. I found my nitch in life." To: "Hi, I'm Ara. After high school, I got a job at Pep Boys Auto Parts. I've worked my way up to store manager and if I play my cards right, one day I could be looking at a job in the corporate office. I have internet and a veracious appetite for knowledge. I love to read about politics and not that stuff that they teach you in college, but the real working kind that effect peoples lives.� BTW: This is just a fictitious example to illustrate what I�m trying to say. Don�t get me wrong, I�m not "knocking" higher education in any way, just saying it�s a shame that so many waste it and could have saved themselves the 4 years if they only knew what cards life was going to deal them.

Though I have a satellite dish, it only gets a few channels in English (BBC and TBN, amen). I learned from a friend of mine that I can get a digital receiver for my satellite dish (mine is analog) and I will receive hundreds of cannels. Now that would be the ultimate for someone that is retired. I know so many people that live in the U.S. that all they do all day is sit in front of their T.V. watching sports or movies. What difference would it make if they did that in the U.S. or here? Big difference. Here, even if they got a minimal social security check (I think it�s $600 a month), you could live like kings and afford to get all those juicy channels and money left over. And if you act now, we will give you as a bonus super clean air, no crime and nice people. Oh, did I forget to mention that you would also stimulate the economy by becoming a consumer for goods and services with the fresh money that would be injected every month like clockwork, thanks to Uncle Sam? On the other hand, in the states, I think $600 would get you a room to stay in and maybe a view to watch a bunch of cars and your life pass right before your eyes.

If there is anyone out there that is really interested in spending their golden years in the lap of luxury, or know someone that does, you can get in touch with me and I�ll do all I can to get you that crown and cape you have always wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment