Thursday, February 21, 2002

Tonight I was watching BBC news and they were reporting on airlifts that the Red Cross had for Northern Afghanistan for food aid, as for the last 3 years they have been suffering from drought. A resident of Afghanistan was telling how before the drought, they had cattle and crops to sustain them.

I�m on a committee that is overseeing a water project in the city of Martuni that a Catholic relief origination is coordinating (USAID funding), as we have for quite a few years had a water shortage. I met an American who is the head of the project and he was telling me that as time goes on, things are drying up here.

We use to have self-flowing spring water and now we are considering running pipes that get us closer to the springs so the water is not absorbed before it gets to the city. Now that is being rethought, as it looks like those springs in the next couple years could dry to the point that they will not provide enough water. We have wells that can provide water, but this is not self-flowing (something that the USAID is stipulating as a condition for their project). None the less, at this point, this seems to be the most logical route to take. I�m just wondering how long the wells will provide water before they dry?

Today I notice that my trees have buds and with the warm weather, they are going to bloom for sure. This is the third year that I can remember we are having the trees prematurely bloom and then a freeze or a hail-storm and no fruit.

All of what I�ve said in this log are indication of global-warming. Like I said in previous logs, the biggest offender is America. Most of the people that read this log are people living in America. Believe it or not, you do have a voice. You need to make your voice heard and tell your president that he must enter in the Kiyoto agreement. For those of you that don�t know what this is. In short, this is an international agreement for the reduction of pollution that is causing global-warming.

I know most of you are very sympathetic to what I�m saying, but don�t have the time to get involved. I fear that when you will finally take steps to say something to your government, it will be when a gallon of tap water costs more than a gallon of gasoline and when we get to that point, it will be too late for all of us.

Here is a contest for those that like games. Today, I took three pictures of the buds of three different fruit trees in my yard that I�m sure will bloom in the next 2 weeks. Write to me and identify what each one is and in which order you think they will bloom. The first person who answers correctly wins a prize (to be announced).

No comments:

Post a Comment