Wednesday, June 12, 2002

Guests, guests and more guests!!!

I have been so busy, that I have had no time to log or tend to my other everyday life.

I could write a big long log and tell you all about what I�ve been up to for the last few weeks, but I�ll spare you the details and not bore you with all the fun I�ve been having.

Raffi wrote quite a bit about the great adventure we had and did a good job of covering it.

I guess I got a head cold and fever from that trip, which I�m hoping will pass soon, as I have more guests due to come.

Today was the 9th anniversary marking a dark day in Armenian history. The 12th of June, 1993 was the day Monte Melkonian was killed in battle while defending our people from the Azeri-Turks. Like every year since that day, the people of Martuni, friends of Monte�s and government officials paid their respects to Monte.

They finished the day with a lunch at Monte�s spring. Many toast were said and I was given the opportunity to say a toast which I did, following the toast that the Martuni Prosecutor said about our future and how he hopes it will be a promising one.

It�s funny, but it seems whenever I say a toast, everyone gets really quiet and listens closely to what I have to say. In retrospect, it never fails that many times when someone else is saying a toast, there is always someone talking and making comments or just ignoring the person who is saying the toast.

My toast went something like this: �I would like to continue the Prosecutor�s toast of a promising future and add that though everyone sitting at this table thinks about our future and the well being of our people, may everyone here work 1% harder and elect the road and work which will be most beneficial to realizing our dream of a promising future. In the 4 years I have lived here, I�ve noticed that as hard as we have been trying to move forward, we seem to be slipping back. May Monte�s life and the others who spilled their blood and gave their lives so we can have a chance at a normal and more promising future not be a waste and unnecessary loss. For those who are servants to the people (referring to almost everyone at the table), if it be the person who cleans the street or our own regional minister, I wish that they do their job in a way that is most beneficial to us all. And to those that are the keepers of the law (the head of the Martuni KGB and chief of police where also at the table) to do their job to make sure that the law works. For those that find that they are not qualified to do what is expected of them, they should do our people a bigger service and tell us that they can�t do it and step down to let someone who is better qualified to do it. All this is my wish and I believe that this is what needs to be done so that we truly can have a more promising future.� We drank and the Prosecutor continued to talk about how I am right and how there are people that are more interested in the chair they occupy and this hinders our moving forward in the way we need for a promising future.

Well I need to get going and I�m hoping by morning this fever will be over with. Thank goodness my mother left me a bottle of Advil when she was here last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment