Tuesday, June 18, 2002

The other day I paid my cellular phone bill which was a whopping $23.40. Though that may not seem like much, for someone with an average government salary, that�s a little more than half of their monthly income.

I was expecting it to me more as I made a number of international phone calls, but when closely examining the bill only 3 of the approximately 10 calls appeared. So yesterday while in Stepanagert to pay the bill for my internet phone line, I enquired about my bill and its lack of billing. The conversation went something like this:

Ara: I�m sorry to bother you, but there seems an error on my cellular phone bill. It seems that I was not charged for some international calls I made.

Worker at Karabagh Telecom: (With a big smile on her face) Is that a problem for you?

Ara: Well I made quite a few calls and maybe they didn�t last more than a minute, but they do add up.

Worker at Karabagh Telecom: Well I wouldn�t worry about it.

Ara: Well I just don�t want them to later surprise me with a bill for them and I really don�t have a problem paying for them now.

Worker at Karabagh Telecom: (With an even bigger smile on her face) I�ll talk to my supervisor about it and we will take care of it.

Ara: Do you need my phone number?

Worker at Karabagh Telecom: No, that�s okay.

It was obvious that she didn�t care and I guess though it was probably cute that someone would come and want to pay for something that the company she works for overlooked. Obviously she wont be talking to her supervisor to resolve this issue, so maybe I should.

Since I�m on the subject of telecommunications, I have to tell you about these regular phones that don�t seem to be working well. I mean I can call America quicker on my cell phone than I can call my neighbor on my regular phone. In many cases, I end up calling my neighbor on my cell phone when I get frustrated trying to call on the regular phone.

The other night I needed to call the village of Jardar and to do so, you have to call 107 and the operator connects you. I tried for 45 minutes to all 107 with no luck at all. I finally got so frustrated that I got in my car and drove down to the phone center to make my call.

While waiting for them to put my call through (which they had to do twice, as the first time they dialed the wrong number), I talked with an old man who also got frustrated after trying for 15 minutes to call 107 and at midnight, walked 1 kilometer to the phone center to put in his call to his daughter who lives in Russia. He told me that ever since the Arab�s took over the phone system, it has been impossible to make a phone call. He said that he had to walk down not only to make the call, but to calm his nerves.

Well, I hope that the Arab�s that now control our phone system will spend the next $12 million on updating the regular phone system so the greater population will benefit from their acquisition of our system, as appose to the first $12 million they claim to have spent on our cellular phone system that the people that don�t have the money to subscribe to don�t benefit from.

No comments:

Post a Comment