Saturday, June 22, 2002

Yesterday my one-sided game of phone-tag with the President�s advisor who promised me to have my citizenship issue resolved by May, came to an end.

I called for the 9th time and spoke with his secretary Lucine. She told me that the advisor was busy with Presidential election work and in short would not have time to deal with my issue until the elections were over. I told Lucine to tell the advisor that this was not acceptable and I expect that he fulfill the promise before that time.

I mentioned the situation to some of the locals and they seemed quite bothered by the situation and behavior of the government.

One pointed out the following reasons why they should not question or delay granting me citizenship:

1. The NKR government is claiming that they want people to move here.
2. Though they claim to give a home and material aid to people that resettle here, I have not asked nor received anything from them and have built with my own money my home and life here.
3. I have left a more desirable and economically stable country for this country that has a questionable future.
4. I�m an Armenian and not a Turk.
5. I have created a number of stable jobs for people that live here, which has relived the government of the burden of finding those families a source of income.
6. Every month, I bring in fresh money to this country which I spend here and by doing so stimulate the economy.

Well it looks like I�m now going to have to write a second letter to the President, stating the above and asking him for his immediate attention, with an expectation of this process to be completed within 10 days, or to provide me with a letter rejecting of my citizenship request explaining the reasons.

Though I have a really good idea as to what the letter to the President will say, please feel free to make suggestions as what you think should be stated to the President.

If this does not work, I think an open letter to the people here will be in order. If that happens, I�ll be sure to post the English version of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment