Sunday, July 14, 2002

I went to a wedding yesterday and boy was it hot!!!

This was the first wedding I have been to where the family is well off, but they were very conservative as to what they served the guest. Not to say that they are rich or cheap, but they seem to have a good understanding that in times when money is hard to come by, there is no reason to show off. I guess being that it was a hot day people where more than happy to not have too much food on the table. One thing that was nice and I�ve never seen at a wedding here was ice-cream.

So I sat at the table that had the Groom�s coworkers from the tax office. Across from me sat the head of the tax office. I asked him how work was and he said that as usual, it�s hard to collect taxes. He did say that this last harvest we had looked very promising and if things continue as they have, those that planted wheat, will be able to pay their property tax, thus filling the government fund. He said that the average harvest this year was over 2 tons a hector, which the break-even point is 1 ton a hector. I�m not sure if this is a government figure to instill hope in the people or if this is an accurate figure. I did hear from another source that some of the more favorable land that is held by people in power had a yield of up to 9 tons a hector. If this is true, then the average 2 ton figure could be accurate, but also a bit misleading. I guess I�ll know better after the harvest is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment