Saturday, July 13, 2002

Tonight I went to dinner at Rosa Myrig�s house. She called me this afternoon, telling me about her sister that lives in Russia who has fallen on hard times. She asked if she could barrow $50 so she could send it to her. I agreed.

Rosa Myrig and her husband Hurant are known in Artsakh to be the only family that fled Baku with their 3 sons and during the war, all 3 sons were killed. I won�t get into details as to how it happened, but will say that from what my neighbors tell me, when they came, Rosa Myrig was a very young, educated, dignified and modern woman. After her sons were killed, she became old and gray in a very short period of time.

I met Rosa Myrig and Hurant in 1998, when I purchased their son Arthur�s house from them. As a result, we have become close and though I�m usually busy, I try to make it a point to visit them at least once a month to see how they are doing.

I noticed on this visit that they were not all that well. I have learned from what they serve at dinner how they are doing. Tonight we had soup, bread, tomatoes, eggplant and yogurt. Everything but the bread was given to them from various neighbors and relatives.

On February 23rd of this year, the President presented Rosa Myrig and other families that lost more than one member of their family in the war with a metal. At that time, Rosa Myrig told the President how difficult life has been and how there are times that there is little or no food in the house. The President said that he would help her out and thing would be okay. I asked Rosa Myrig tonight what the President has sent her and she said until now he sent her nothing. She added that last year she wrote to the government to help them out with firewood and their request was denied. Hurant said that maybe if the President gets reelected, he will fulfill his promises. I certainly hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment