Monday, October 21, 2002

Tonight I was a guest at a homecoming for a neighbor, who served his time for our country.

The homecoming was held for my neighbor Edo, who went off to serve in the army 2 years ago. His tour of duty and somewhat smooth, all but the last 8 months.

To begin with, I�ll tell you a little about Edo.

Edo was one of the first kids I met in Martuni, as he is neighbors with the family I use to stay with before I built my house.

I always admired Edo for his honesty and his understanding of the meaning of life.

Edo to this day has been the only person that has barrowed money and gave me a date as to when he would repay me and has done so weeks before the date he set for repayment.

Edo�s tour of duty took a bad turn after serving in the army for 1 year and 9 months.

It seems that Edo had a confrontation with a subordinate and out of frustration slapped him.

The subordinate, out of anger, put on an act as if he was badly injured and one thing led to another and Edo had to stand trial for his inappropriate conduct.

In the trial, Edo refused to have anyone defend him and was ready to answer to and serve the time the law found appropriate.

It was speculated that Edo would serve no less that one year, but his honesty and ability to defend himself and discredit the plaintiff, who the judge detected was exaggerating what had happened, gave Edo one year and then reduced the sentence to 6 month.

Edo was satisfied with the sentence, as he understood that when you make a mistake, you face the music and pay the price for what you have done.

Well, 6 months passed and Edo�s scheduled release date passed.

Since Edo�s parents are neighbors, I see them quite often and noticed on many occasions how depressed and concerned they were over Edo. Their biggest concern was that the judge that was suppose to release him had not yet heard his case so he could issue the papers to free Edo from the Shushi jail.

A couple of months passed and during those couple of months, I had asked them what the status was on Edo and is release. It was always the same answer of they seem to be waiting for us to pay them something so they will hear the case, or we just don�t know and don�t know what to do.

I decided that I would talk to the head military judge who I�ve know for many years. He had always told me that if there was anything I need to just ask.

So 10 days ago, I drove to Stepanagert to sign an agreement for my internet connection with our new Arab providers and as I was driving up the main street, I noticed the head military judge on the side of the road, who I waved to and he waved back to me to stop my car.

I stopped and he climbed in and asked if I could drive him up the street.

As we were driving and engaging in the usual small talk and during that conversation, he asked me if there was anything he could do for me. At that moment, I remember Edo and asked him who I need to talk to about seeing what the status was on that case. He asked me which Edo and I said I didn�t know, but let me call and find out. I called on my cell phone to Martuni, found out and he said �yes, that is one of my cases�. He claimed that he was waiting for papers to come to him and thought that he would have them in hand in the next 2 days. He asked me who Edo was to me and I told him. He asked if he should help Edo out and I said only if he found it appropriate to do so. He said not to worry about it, he would take care of it.

A week passed and as I was in Stepanagert, I got a call from a neighbor who had just finished talking to Edo�s mom and in the conversation, she was told that Edo was released and was being held at the military police station. My neighbor told me that it may help to stop by on my way home to see if they would release Edo to me and to bring him if they do.

I stopped in at the military police station and asked about Edo. They called up to the chief of the station, who told them to send me up to see him.

I went up to the chief�s office. I have to admit that I was dressed a little sloppy, as I had come to Stepanagert for some heavy work and was a little grungy looking.

The chief looked at me and asked me in a somewhat rude tone what I wanted?

I told him that I was there to pick-up Edo and to take him to Matruni with me.

In an intimidating manor, he asked me what business I had with Edo.

I explained to him that first and foremost, I was his neighbor. Besides that, I have an organization that deals with social and economic issues. This case deals with both.

He told me that there is no guarantee that Edo will be release to go home, as he still has almost 3 months left to serve in the army.

I told him that Edo was suppose to be released from jail almost 3 months ago and as far as I could see, that time should be applied to his service in the army.

I asked him how long we were to wait until he is released from the military police and was told that his papers had been sent to the Minister of Defense for a signature and decision as to if he was to serve 3 more months in the army.

I pulled out my cell phone to call the Minister of Defense to see if there was going to be a delay and he told me that it was the assistant to the Minister of Defense that was dealing with this case. He gave me a name and phone number to call, but assured me that it really was not necessary to call, as he felt that they would have an answer in the next day or two.

With a firm handshake and the standard comment of me not wanting to waste anymore of this mans time and I will wait a couple of days to see what happens, I found my way back to my car and drove home.

So today while I was in Stepanagert, I got a call from a neighbor to tell me that they had released Edo and to come at 1 PM to the homecoming celebration. I told them that I would be late, as I was not expecting to be done with my work until late.

I got to Martuni around 6:30 PM and went to Edo�s house.

There is nothing more unappetizing than to be late to a party and find the guest drunk and acting stupid.

A special table was set for me inside away from the drunks, where I shared a meal with Edo and his friends.

What a change I saw on Edo�s moms face. She was a completely different person. Happy, cheerful and very, very, very happy to have her son home.

As we were having tea, following the departure of the very drunk guests, Edo�s mom told me that the chief of the military police station called Edo to his office before releasing him.

He asked him who is this Diaspora Armenian who is meddling in is case? Edo told him that I was his neighbor. She went on to say that he told Edo to tell me that everything is fine and there is no need for me to further investigate this case as it is no longer an issue. She then began to cry and thanked me for my help.

In the end, the Minister of Defense signed a document that Edo has served his time in the army, meaning he has fulfilled his duty to Artsakh and will not be made to serve 3 more months in the army.

As I was getting ready to leave, the table was set for the latecomers and I was made to sit and eat a second time. This time Edo�s father joined us.

One of the toasts was to me, which was a thank you for renewing their faith in the system and bringing their son home. He went on to say that if I had not done what I did, they don�t believe that Edo would have come home for many more months. He added that our promising future will come only from people like me and if there were only 10 more people who think and act like I do in Artsakh, most of our problems would be solved and life would be much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment