Wednesday, May 26, 2004

On the Cilicia.com Armenian Diaspora log site, there is a discussion going on in regards to the Armenian Church and it’s lack of fulfilling our people with the spiritual needs we have.

As I wrote one of my comments, I remembered my involvement with the YMCA and in influence it had on me in regards to learning and understanding Christian values.

Though this is not a new idea, I was thinking that for the youth here in Artsakh and Armenia, it would not be a bad idea to somehow implement a YMCA type of program and in particular their Leathers and Rag program, which I am a member of the latter.

In short what these programs promote and teach are Christian values and give the member a series of goals to complete, which in the end, teach the member to be a contributing member of society.

The following is the Ragger’s creed, which considering I have not worn my silver rag for over 18 years or participated in a Rag ceremony, I still remember.

I will be true, for there are those that trust me.
I will be pure, for there are those that care.
I will be strong, for there is much to suffer.
I will be brave, for there is much to bear.
I will be friend to all, the foe, the friendless.
I will be giving, and forget the gift.
I will be humble, for I know my weaknesses.
I will look up, and laugh, and love, and lift.

If we could somehow teach our people this much and somehow infect our neighbors with this way of thinking, our world would be a much better place to live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment