Tuesday, July 06, 2004

How long has it been since I’ve logged about life here in Martuni? I guess a long time.

One reason I’ve had nothing to write about is that for the most part, I have not been in Martuni all that much in the last couple of months but have been in Armenia working on various projects. My Artsakh visits have been a matter of driving in, staying at the most 4 days and driving back to Armenia.

I got back to Martuni a couple of days ago and things here seem to be the same.

The weather is starting to heat up here and yesterday I turned on my air-conditioner, which before doing so, I cleaned the filter. Boy was it dirty!!!

While I was in Armenia, I worked on my book when time permitted. Though I’ve done quite a bit of work, it’s still not quite as close to completion as I would like it to be. Writing about ones life and thing things one encounters here is quite fatiguing, since much of what I see defy the laws of logic. After revisiting the past, it really makes me wonder how up until now I have kept my sanity? I have to admit that most of the things I have written about, have left my memory, which I guess is good. I guess writing is a form of self-induced therapy and helps to clear ones mind of bad stuff.

While I’ve been away, construction has not stopped on my projects in Martuni. I’m in the process of building my industrial complex, which will fulfil part of my obligation to the 25 year lease agreement I have with the Artsakh government.

Though I had plans on starting this year anyway, I was warned that the army had it’s eye on my land to build a housing complex and if I had not started by November, I would have violated the terms of my agreement and they could have taken the land back. Now I have 3 years to finish the main building, though I plan on having it done by next year.

The main building when completed will not only be a factory, but will also be able to double for a banquet hall that can seat 500 people, which I plan on having my wedding reception in.

We will also have a man-made lake, which I need the water for lubricating our stone cutting equipment. I’m hoping the lake will be ready this year so I can fill it and plant grass and trees around it so come next year, the place will look picture perfect. I’m also thinking that until we start to use it for stone lubrication, I will stock it with fish as to keep the insect problem to a minimum (my other factory has frogs that do a good job of this). I guess I need to read up on what the best way to build a man-made lake is? I’m thinking that one just cuts a ditch and fills it with water, letting the dirt flow to the bottom and seep back into the ground. I’m thinking that a couple of attached pools I could use to recover the granite dust and the extra surface water, which should be clean, can flow back into the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment