Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Start of a new life

The birth of our son Alex can be described as nothing less than the most amazing things I've ever been a part of.

After seeing what I saw, I can say that anyone who gives birth is very brave. I don't know what other women experience, but know in the last 2 hours, my wife was in major pain. Before we got to the hospital, I told my wife that if she said anything bad about me or snapped at me when she is birthing our child, I would fully understand. I also knew that there was a very good chance at her lashing out, since she had decided she would not allow any pain killers and wanted our son to be born as nature intended. Only at one point did my wife talk when really hurting and she said that it really hurts and I don't blame you for my pain. I was like wow.

Anyway, from what I've been told, to pass a 3.7 kilo baby on the third push is very good. We were warned before she started pushing that it could take a while and without pain killers given before we start birthing, could be very hard for my wife.

On the third push and when Alex just about jumped into the hands of our doctor, I could see that my wife almost instantly felt relief.

The clean-up process was quite quick and within the first 10 minutes, he had his eyes open and he was taking things in. Though they say that babies can't see when they are first born, Alex looked to be making eye contact with me and my wife.

We have a long road to go before things level out and though I was ready for sleepless nights, Alex seems to be a very mellow baby and for someone who is almost 2 days old, he does not seem to mind sleeping 7 hours at night and for the most part feeds every 3 to 4 hours during the day. The first newborn I raised fed every 2 to 3 hours and also was kind to me, letting me sleep at night.

For the next month, I'm going to be taking a break from logging since I'm going to need a little bit more time for my family. If there is any downtime, I may post a relevant news story that is of interest to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment