Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Today I was listening to recordings of the April 20 to 21st genocide conference. I have to tell you that I was quite impressed with some of the non-Armenian speakers, especially the Turkish ones.

One thing I was not impressed with was the lack of discussion in the area of genocide prevention. I would think that this should have been a priority, but with a bunch of scholars who study genocide, what would they really know about prevention?

When I asked about human nature and how we have to recognize what human beings are so we can live accordingly to prevent genocide, it seems that only Professor Richard Hovanessian took the question seriously.

After I asked my question there was a comment from Armenian Revolution Federation (ARF) Bureau Political and Armenian National Committee Director Giro Manoyan, who said: “I hope he doesn’t defend my human rights…with friends like that…”

I listened to Giro’s speech. He talked about how the ARF was not at the 80th anniversary of the Armenian genocide because his party was banned. At that time, according to Giro, the ARF was accused of not defending our people in times of crisis.

I thought that Giro’s human rights comment was kind of rude and unnecessary. Taking into consideration the accusation 10 years ago of his party not defending our people in their times of crisis, I could not stop thinking of the ARF’s investigation of human trafficking to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) three years before our investigation team ever stepped foot on the sands of the UAE.

At that time the ARF was bound and determined to put an end to the shameful Armenian involvement in the sex trade in Dubai, but when they found out who was involved and the economic hardships they could possibly face for trying to put an end to this culturally non-cohesive trade, they suddenly stopped their investigation and turned a blind eye to this problem. When they put an end to their two year investigation, there were about 500 Armenian women and children in Dubai. Since then that number has grown to 2,000.

When I found out that it was the ARF’s Bureau Political and Armenian National Committee Director Giro Manoyan publicly questioning my abilities of defending his human rights, I could only look at what the ARF has really done in the past and think that Giro is the last guy who has the right to make the comment he made, considering the ARF has done relatively much less.

No comments:

Post a Comment