Friday, August 23, 2002

Here is the translation of Rosa Myrig's letter to her sponsor that I thought may inspire some of you to get involved:

Artsakh, City of Martuni
R. Martirosyan St, No. 5
Hrand Arseni Dadanyan
Roza Sergeyi Dadanyan

We, two spouses, together with our three sons, relocated to our birthplace Karabagh from Baku on December 26 1988.

Our three sons:
Artur Hranti Dadanyan was born on 15 June 1960
Yuri Hranti Dadanyan was born on 2 June 1962
Armen Hranti Dadanyan was born on 19 June 1971

How good it was, how happy we felt to be saved from the Turks and come here. The reason for our moving was the well-known Karabagh movement. Our sons said, "Let's go." Our happy days of protecting the land of Karabagh did not last long. Day by day the situation worsened, the horrific war began during which our three sons were killed also - Arthur and Yuri on the same day, 2 March 1991; and Armen on 23 July 1992.

What we have endured for eleven years only the father of those three knows, and also God, and my three children when I join them. I suffered greatly, lost my health, my mind was disturbed by memories; but somehow restraining myself, focusing myself, I dealt with it all. Why? Because my Arthur was married. He has one son, Ruslan, and one daughter Elina (who is afflicted with epilepsy). We are pensioners. It is clear that we have financial difficulty, but somehow we take it in stride. What can we do? To whom shall we apply so that the situation changes? And so restrained, humble, respectful and accommodating, we count the days - when we will die and how.

Our black fate would have strangled us completely were there not on earth caring, concerned, patriotic, Armenian-loving hereic boys, such as the dear, esteemed JD. On 8 August 2002 I went to my sons' cemetery (which I do every day). When I came home, my blood pressure was elevated and I went to bed, when the telephone rang. "Roza Myrig, take your identification and come to the bank." I said, "I can't today. I'll come tomorrow." And I did that; I went there - if it is not shameful, I can say that like a surprise they presented me with $1,000. Until today I have not emerged from my emotions and feelings. I think I am in a dream. But at the same time I am proud that my sons have accomplished their purpose, to protect their native land, but they did not reach the rest of their desires. And I, their mother, am bearing all of that alone. I do not wish this dreadful fortune on anyone. Once again we express our profound thanks to JD, that dear, esteemed person who cared about us.

At the same time, I very much ask and await your brief letter with all the details, your address, your profession, about your family. I would like to correspond with you so we can get acquainted. If it is possible, your visit here with us, and I will host you however I am able.

I await your letter, and kiss you and all the members of your family.
Please write, we are waiting.
Hrant Arseni and Roza Sergeyi Dadanyan
Karabagh, Martuni City

Please forgive my health condition. I was going to write to you sooner. Please forgive me. 19 August 2002


Her sponsor wrote back:

[snip]

About one month ago, I read on the internet Ara's letter concerning you, your husband and your sons. I was shocked that no helping hand had been extended by the diaspora to you and your husband. I was embarrassed by our lack of compassion and generosity. You have given everything to keep the land Armenian, an accomplishment for which all who call themselves Armenian are proud, yet we do not seek the honor of protecting you or your husband from the consequences of war. For this I am truly ashamed. You ask my forgiveness for sending a letter "late"; I seek yours for not sending help for 11 years.

[snip]

No comments:

Post a Comment