Sunday, August 11, 2002

Sorry for not logging this sooner, but I�ve been having connection problems and it seems that the telephone company can�t quite get my line between Martuni and Stepanagert tuned correctly.

Last night I went to Rosa Myrig�s house for dinner.

On my way over to her house, I ran into a red haired boy carrying 2 very heavy bags that each contained a watermelon. He was walking slow and I could tell was tired. I asked him where he was going with such a heavy load? He said he was going to Rosa Myrig�s house. I took one of the bags from him and we made our way to her house.

The last time Rosa Myrig and Hurant had watermelon was when I took one to them last week. Before that, the last time they could afford such a luxury was 4 years ago, when my neighbor had brought over a truckload and was selling them for almost half the price the stores were selling them for.

We sat down before dinner and talked about how they are doing. She suspected, but didn�t know for sure that I had arranged for the money she received and was waiting for me to come for a visit so she could ask.

She told about how she had gone to the bank without a clue as to why they were calling her and had figured that maybe the President had sent some gift, since who else would send money to her?

She was sitting down when the bank manager told her the amount. The bank manager told me yesterday that when she told her, Rosa Myrig began to cry. She wanted to know who, where and why they got this money. I had told the manager to just give the name and from where this person was from (since that�s all the information I have myself). Rosa Myrig told me that she had problems standing up and after sitting there a bit and getting over the shock went to the cashier to receive the money.

It was a biter-sweat moment. She said that this money can�t replace her sons, but it does lighten the load and worries they have.

I gave her a translation of the logs which she read out loud and though the basic story was correct (it�s the official story that everyone tells), they were not forced out of Baku. Their eldest son Arthur came to join the defense forces at the start of the struggle and they came 3 months later after settling their affairs. Their youngest son was serving in the Russian army in Russia at the time and deserted his post to come join his brothers. He also brought with him a close Russian friend of Arthur�s, who also participated.

Listening to Rosa Myrig read the logs was not easy. She would stop every now and then to cry. Though there is nothing that can compensate her for her loss, I could tell that this is something that she needed, the knowledge that total strangers know her story and they feel for her.

At dinner our first toast was to welcome me. The second was to our friend who sent them a very unexpected gift. The third toast as is tradition here in Artsakh was to those that have lost their life and spilled their blood for the defense of our country. Following toasts were to them, me, their family, my family and our future.

Just so you know, tonight we had soup (with meatballs and potatoes in it), tomatoes, cucumbers, green-peppers, cheese, yogurt, bread and lots of watermelon.

I�m now working on our next �Rosa Myrig� case. I think I�ll be going to the bank next week to open an account for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment