Friday, November 01, 2002

These kind of stories I don�t like reporting, but to better give you an understanding of our social condition so you can understand the challenges we face and maybe find a way to be part of the solution, here goes.

It seems that a group of boy from the 8th grade were dragged into police headquarters and disciplined for paying for sexual services from one of their female classmates.

It seems that the girl had written a note to the boys in her class, offering her services for 500 dram (about 87 cents) and in her letter stating that she knows how to do everything and will teach them. She also told her neighbor that she knows he is poor, so for him there would be no charge.

The money she collected, somehow got to her I believe, older sister (here that could also apply to any female blood relative) who I�m told was very uncomfortable with what the girl had done and told the girl�s father.

The girl�s father learned who the boys were and confronted them and began to beat them.

It�s still a little sketchy, but it seems that he was dragged into police headquarters for his action and I�m guessing here, the police chief or his assistant learned what had happened and gathered up the boys and put them in jail (this information is pieced together from what I heard from different sources, but the final outcome was the boys too ended up in jail).

According to a witness who was standing outside the Prosecutor�s office, the boys were very sternly lectured (and loud so it could be heard on the street by the witness) by the chief of police for what they had done and too tell you the truth, at this point the final outcome is not important to my story so I wont get into what he said.

What is important to my story are two things.

First of all. Where did this 13 or 14 year old girl get the idea to prostitute herself to her classmates? I was told that her family is somewhat poor and she was doing it so she could get a new pair of winter shoes, but even then, I�m kind of having a hard time to understand why she would do this and where did she learn such things. Maybe all those Brazilian soaps that are being pumped into our homes? I don�t know.

The second thing that bothers me even more is that of the boys that were dragged into jail, 3 boys were never charged and their name was taken off the list of offenders.

The first one was a boy who I know his grandmother as working in a store as a clerk and from what I�m told, his parents are really nothing special. Maybe he has a relative who is connected, but again, I don�t know.

The second one is the son of the deputy chief of police. This bothers me, as what if the deputy�s son had done something worse (not that this is not bad)? And what does his son learn from breaking the law and then getting off? He learns at this young age, the law does not apply to him and others who know about this (which is most of the population in the Martuni region and now our readers) learn that if you have connections, you can do anything you want and get off (in more ways then one).

The third of the boys is none other than the chief of police�s son. The same person who was lecturing the boys of how wrong this is. The person who witnessed him lecturing the boys, commented on he should not be talking or if he insists on talking, he should have brought his son with him to the lecture.

I mean even in America, President Bush's daughter was caught purchasing beer with fake ID and had to face the music.

I guess this kind of thing should not shock me, as I�ve been here for so long and have documented so many cases like this, but something about this still really bugs the holly heck out of me.

Well all I will do at this point is add this to my very very long list of things that have happened here and in Armenia, where justice should have been served but was not. One day, hopefully sooner rather than later, this list of cases that are well documented will be concluded and justice will prevail and people can finally put closure to this very ugly time we are living in our history.

No comments:

Post a Comment