Saturday, September 08, 2007

International Star… An Armenian success story in the making

For those of you who have been reading Martuni or Bust since 2005, you should remember my logs about a 17-year-old musical genius named Nick.

Nick and my wife were admitted in the Gomidas Music Conservatory together that year and thanks to my wife taking our video camera to class one day, I saw first hand a spur-of-the-moment performance of her classmates, the one most talented I thought was Nick. You can revisit the logs that mention Nick here, here and here.

Anyway, earlier this summer, Nick auditioned and was accepted to a show on Armenia TV Company which is a Tata Production called “International Star”.

As of now, it looks as Nick is the most popular of the 16 remaining contestants, this is based on how many votes he has from the public and word has it that Tata himself is very impressed with Nick and his talents.



Last weekend, Nick preformed to crowd of 50,000 people. It was one of his best performances so far. And just to you fully understand Nick’s talent, the performance you are watching above is live. No lip-syncing. This is the real thing!

Nick asked me to thank our readers who believed in him and made contributions to securing him a computer and recording equipment that made it possible for him to produce his original English language songs. This is one of the main reasons why Nick has been able to, in a very short period of time, professionally record 27 of his songs which thanks to the assistance of my mother, he also has secured copyrights for.

As for what awaits Nick, if you ask me, the sky is the limit and I really don’t see anything stopping him from becoming a real international star.

As of now since we have his copyrights in place, once this contest is over, we will be submitting his materials to one of the largest music groups in America. I’m not going to reveal right now how I was able to make contact with them and I’m not talking about some talent scout, but I’m talking about what I can only describe as God’s intervention that I was given the opportunity to correspond with one of the top executives who told me, though they don’t accept unsolicited materials, for me they will make an exception. And the back up plan is again from what I can only call another act of God’s finger being in it, I again was given an opportunity just yesterday to write about Nick to an artist who is signed with the same music group and has his own record label to boot, who is willing to listen and review Nick’s materials.

Anyway, not to say that winning this contest will determine Nick’s future, but if he does win (which I really think he has a very good chance of doing so), it will certainly be a great start to a career he has been working almost his whole life to ascertain and a real success story that I'm very happy we were able to be a part of.

One other thing we are now kicking around is for Nick to give a charity concert in Stepangert, where the proceeds will go to help to finance our economic development projects in Kashatagh.

No comments:

Post a Comment