Friday, April 16, 2004

As I was catching up on my internet work from the last couple of days after coming back and forth to Yerevan, I checked what was going on with the discussion on Shooshig’s last log and found that a reader who signs his name G. Garabedyan made the following statements regarding me and what he though was accurate insight on my part based on past and present logs and actions I have taken. Of course his comments got others to comment:

I’m very sad about this horrific news. I think, for the most part, the Southern California Diaspora doesn’t care. Like you stated, we tend to spend and work to no extremity, excluding our inherit social obligations. I’ll probably even get a bunch of nit-picking objections, challenging me on my definition of “inherit social obligation”. That would only exemplify how unwell our perplexed our community is. Bottom line, we tend to facilitate excuses rather than real solutions. The Diaspora needs genuine community leadership to protest such violent setbacks. That leadership will never surface in the Diaspora, as long as that individual is obliged to “keep up” with the Blah-“ians” or Blah-“yans” of the world.
G. Garabedyan | 04.14.04 - 6:05 am |

By the way, where is our 1800-year-old Church leadership? Really folks, what in God’s name is the Armenian Orthodox Church doing to remedy all of this? What kind of dim-witted Catholicos sits idly aside as a corrupt government runs a mock on Armenian liberty? A matter of fact, what purpose does the Catholicos of the Armenian Orthodox Church serve in today’s Armenia? Nothing…Zero! The Catholicos of the Armenian Orthodox Church is as much to blame as Robert Kocharian. I sincerely feel that they should both quit for failing to protect the liberty of the Armenian people.
G. Garabedyan | 04.14.04 - 6:06 am |

We are all to blame for what is happening in Armenia today and we all know it.

For the last 10 years, most of us that are active in Armenia have at one time or another paid into making those in power exempt from having to answer for what they do.

Proud to be Armenia in the past has equated to hiding the dirt from international eyes and continues to happen today with the lack of accurate reporting of the news.

This pride and denial issue is what got us into this situation and until we get passed it, will continue to sink us deeper and deeper.

Also, don’t wait for the Church to help out. Most who serve there are no longer in the business of saving souls, as the profit margin is too low and they don't see the long term return.
Ara Manoogian | Email | Homepage | 04.14.04 - 7:26 am |

I accept no blame. Sorry.
Raffi Kojian | Homepage | 04.14.04 - 8:24 am |

Hasn't our church been notorious throughout history for standing by idly while things like this occur. Isn't that what sparked the fedayee movements and the organization of revolutionary parties??? Why are we expecting the church to do something now?

I want to thank the repat loggers, becauase I get my news from the BBC and rfe/rl websites and they made it seem like the protestors were merely ushered away! Maybe that is a good thing? I don't want the international community to know what the loggers have reported. Amot mezi!!! I guess I'm one of those people who wants things like this brushed under the carpet!
Lori | 04.14.04 - 12:13 pm |

I appreciate reading devotee post replied beyond anything. However, I must state that Lori’s log reply exemplifies how clueless the Diaspora community is about what is really going on behind the public curtain, politically. I feel that Ara Manoogian’s current blog states the political fervor fairly accurately. Let me exemplify with this paragraph Ara recently published on his online journal called “Martuni or Bust”....” What I have discovered over the last few years, the Kocharian and Sarkissian propaganda machine has intentionally divided Armenians. They have done this to better control the common people so to use them to keep in power by pitting one against the other.”
G. Garabedyan | 04.14.04 - 1:19 pm |

This grass-rooted analysis is important to embrace due to the fact it has been generated by a Diaspora living and interacting on the ground in Armenia & Artsakh. Now how many Armenian Diaspora leaders or activists can say they have had that adjustment before shooting they handicapped morals toward the general community? The current brutal reaction of the police have only highlighted what Ara has been stating for years. It’s so ironic to read the distraught journal entries of each of the other repat loggers, without somehow keeping in mind what Ara’s doctrine has been affirming all along… “how Kocharian and Sarkissian in Shahan’s terms are worse than Tallat and the Turkish leaders” This current Armenian government is absolutely criminal and it should not be facilitated because Diaspora thinks its “Amot mezi”. Screw that simple-minded mindset!
G. Garabedyan | 04.14.04 - 1:21 pm |

Ara is a very fascinating individual and I encourage you all to follow his online literary efforts. Keep in mind that I’m not at all stating I embrace his ideology or approach all the time, I just feel he accommodates a well-researched, intellectually driven-approach to many problematic issues. For example, the man single-handedly investigated and disciplined the child adoption abuses of a governmental adoption system paralyzed by greed and corruption. He refused to sit idle and accommodate lame excuses while local Armenians were amassing fortunes selling off children. That alone deserves much praise and recognition.
G. Garabedyan | 04.14.04 - 1:23 pm |

What does the Diaspora have to do here? I mean, if the "leaders" of the diaspora want to change things, then pack up and get yourself to Armenia. This is the only way that the diaspora community will contribute in the political and social change, besides that, just send money and be polite tourists. I have been here for almost a year. I am so tired of the diaspora rhetoric that we (I am still including myslef in the diaspora) have to change things. You know, Armenia has its own people, its own government, its own intellectuals and its own curropt elite. We don't need another group of intelectuals, curropt elite etc etc to guide Armenia's path. As for the church, I think Ara has got it right, it is far beyond spirituality or redemption... a couple of bucks and they are ready to look the other way!
By the way, who is Garabedyan? Ara's PR manager?
Raffi N | 04.14.04 - 4:12 pm |

[Raffi] Niziblian you should be genuinely honored to even personally know Ara Manoogian. His political foresight is parallel to immense political minds like Noam Chomsky and Frantz Fanon. One small example of his truth-seeking talent is well documented in the exact same Wall Street Journal article you posted online today. The sentence I’m referring to is… “By maintaining Armenia in a state of constant conflict, Mr. Kocharian has successfully used the insecurity of Armenians and manipulated their fear to his political advantage.” This was exactly what Ara Manoogian noted on his online journal prior to Phillip’s Wall Street Journal news admission. As a regular cilicia and Wall Street Journal reader, I’ll stand up for humanitarian no-nonsense, and Ara Manoogian’s philosophy is just that brother…. Niziblian shedak kosenk…shnorhagal eghear Ara’in bez Mart janchnalou.
G. Garabedyan | 04.14.04 - 5:57 pm |

The Fool by Raffi.

A completely modern day relevance prevails throughout this book.

As to the rest - keep out of demonstrations - it only serves to weaken Armenia internally and externally and at the end of the day does not serve the people who are the ones suffering.

Those who perpetuate this kind of stupidity are ruining the country - both opposition and government. Don't get dragged into it.

Equating Ara Manoogian to a 'immense political mind'. That remains to be seen. He is more like a 'law until hisself'.
Anonymous | 04.15.04 - 5:38 am |

Who is G. Garabedyan? You got me? I guess he is my self-appointed PR manager and before this was a guy whose suggested (I’m sure as a joke) I dress up in red and work the rally crowd, which could possibly get me killed, a comment I deleted. Is Garabedyan sane, or by him stating that I have political foresight parallel to immense political minds like Noam Chomsky and Frantz Fanon an indication that just maybe we are dealing with a nut case? I guess what Anonymous stated will determine this in the future. By the way Raffi N., are you honored to know me personally? I know I’m honored to know you.

No comments:

Post a Comment