Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Though there are more serious things going on here in Armenia, I have to share with you a couple of police stops I had today.

The first one took place this afternoon as I was passing a slow moving car that was practically pulled over on the side of the road.

The cop stopped me and came up to my car identifying himself as traffic inspector Vartanyan (badge #0888).

Vartanyan informed me that he has seen me around for a long time, but I have now broken the law!!!

I asked him what I have done and he said that I illegally passed a car where it was illegal to pass. He went on to say that he knows I always argue with the traffic cops, but this time I have finally broken the law.

I told him that I didn’t realize that it was illegal to pass a car that was going less than 20 kilometers an hour.

He again asserted that he knows that I always argue with the traffic officers and eat their nerves and claim that I have not broken the law, but this time I have finally broken the law and there was no room for me to argue.

I said that if he feels that I broke the law, let’s not loose any time and he should write me a ticket as I have no problem being punished for doing something wrong.

He continued on with his speech of him knowing who I am and my breaking the law.

I told him again that I didn’t think I had broken the law and the last time I had a ticket written was at the same spot and it was his fellow cop Arayig that wrote me the ticket and educated me on the law of passing at that same spot.

He said he didn’t know what Arayig told me, but I have broken the law and at least I should apologize to him for being wrong.

I told him to write me the ticket and get it over with.

He thought for a while and then said that he didn’t stop me to write me a ticket, but just to warn me that he is watching me and next time I break the law, it will be different.

He handed me back my documents and I drove on.

I then got to the Sevan checkpoint and got stopped.

The cop at first didn’t identify himself and asked for my documents. I asked him if he had a name and he again asked me if I had documents. Again I asked him if he had a name? Traffic inspector Avakyan. He asked me my name? Manoogian I said, as I handed him my documents.

He asked me where I was from? America I said.

He asked if I was a tourist? I said no, not anymore, I have decided that I would stay.

Avakyan handed me back my documents without looking at them and said that he respects me and sent me on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment