Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Tonight I went to the mayor of Martuni’s house (my future uncle-in-law) for dinner. We had barbeque fish and pork, which was very good!!! The fish came from the Arax river and was very large and greasy.

During dinner, as always, the television was on. There was a program on Artsakh television which I am seeing for the first time, which is a billiards tournament of the Artsakh billiards association. The winning prize from what I understood is $20,000. The players are familiar faces I know, including general Vartan Balayan, and Ararat Grigoryan, from the Ministry of Internal Affairs, just to give you an idea as to who the players are.

We sat and waited to see how are acquaintances would play and after the introductions of the players, they had a little bit of live musical entertainment. Armenian singers who sang Armenian and English language popular songs. They were not bad. The songs kept of coming and my future brother-in-law commented on this not a billiard tournament, but a concert. We kept watching and waiting, occasionally filliping the channels.

Finally after about 20 minutes of music, the tournament started with a montage of the competitors playing. I said that I don’t think they are going to show any games, and no sooner did I say that, then did the program end.

I’m not sure who played and if Vartan in his red vest won or lost? Who won the $20,000? I really would like to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment