Monday, February 26, 2007

NKR PRESIDENT ARKADY GHUKASYAN ADDRESS TO PEOPLE OF NKR

Azat Artsakh Daily, Republic of Nagorno Karabakh [NKR]
24 Feb 07



Dear fellow countrymen, Today I again have to address you in connection with the upcoming presidential election in NKR. Unfortunately, certain mass media of Nagorno Karabakh and Armenia continue to abuse a topic which has been closed long ago ` the possibility of my running a third term. Namely, attempts are made to present my last year's statement that second re-election of the president is not expedient politically and morally as a game mislead the public. These activities will do only harm to the international reputation of Nagorno Karabakh which is committed to the European values. Moreover, this abuse makes the society nervous and divides it. In order to avoid insinuations on my intentions I considered it necessary to make a statement in October which should have answered all the questions connected with my running a third term.

However, one statement of the NKR president was not enough for a few mass media and politicians. Apparently, they think the president must confirm daily his unlikelihood to run a third term, provoking him to take such a step with their slander. Of course, I could overlook the inappropriate behavior of these people if they did not go on harming the society with their actions. These people invent everything to slander the president. Every event in our state and outside it, which is directly related to me, is offered by them as a veiled intention of the president to run in the presidential election again.

Meanwhile, every day ordinary citizens of NKR, representatives of different political and non-governmental organizations, public servants, members of parliament, our compatriots from Armenia, other countries, foreign friends of Artsakh, as well as famous foreign diplomats, political figures, philanthropists come up to me with requests to run in the upcoming presidential election because the NKR Constitution adopted by our people authorizes the head of state to run for presidency. However, a dignified president cannot say one thing and do another thing. I am deeply grateful to all the citizens and foreign friends of our republic who endorse my home and foreign policies, and sincerely wish that I be reelected for another term, and I am stating again that I do not intend to run for the post of the NKR president. Nevertheless, I already know the behavior of the political abusers and their mass media and I am almost convinced that my address will not put an end to detrimental talks on this topic.

There is nothing I can do about it. I think this is an incurable disease. I am sorry for these people. I repeat that there can be no more precious value than the international reputation of my homeland, Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, which is essential to the international recognition of NKR.

No comments:

Post a Comment