Wednesday, March 27, 2002

Here is letter #2 that responds to my question I asked on March 23rd. All the letters were good, but this one I thought was really good.


Hi Ara,

First I'd again like to say how much I enjoy especially your logs. They really put into words what I think a lot about every day.

Your recent log about the way that the Diaspora could help Armenia really affected me because I think about this very much.

I am 16, and "half" Armenian (which I hate saying), but this is a very important part of what makes me who I am. Apart from me and my brother who is13, no other of my 4 siblings, speaks or knows much about Armenia. I try my best to teach them, but as my dad became more and more busy with work, his part in this became gradually less and less. I have become very interested in Armenia not so much as my homeland, but more as a newly formed republic.

When I think about the Diaspora I become so angry, when I think just HOW MANY of us there are sitting around who are yes, proud, yes listen to Aram Asatryan (noo!), yes know who Ruben Matevosian is, and that Cher is part Armenian, but not that Armenia is home to 100's of mafia members who are destroying the economy daily. The Diaspora, to me, is such a wasted strength.

There are literally millions of Armenians around the world who would be more than willing to help. The problem, I feel is the fact that physically making money reach Armenia is a very difficult thing. I speak as someone who made my first trip to Armenia in 2001. I went with 20 people, and I noticed each person gradually becoming less and less pleased with what their Armenia was in reality. I once gave �50 of my money to the All Armenian Fund, to build the road in Artsakh, and on numerous occasions our group gave money to anyone who provided for us in any way. However, this is not the right way, and the difficult part is finding the right way to help.

When an Armenian thinks of setting up a business in his/her homeland, all they are faced with is difficulties, visa, tax, corruption and such like. My father is eager to help anyone, and was going to start a business there, however, we did not have the money for initial investment, and there is no structure which allows for smaller investments from individuals. Perhaps an annual contribution to an orphanage, to a dramatic theater, perhaps sponsoring a classroom with equipment.

I feel perhaps what is needed is a group of people such as yourselves to come together, set up a website (through the assistance of a Diasporan internet company perhaps) that allows for credit card/money transfers directly, and then monies are distributed by people like yourselves, and feedback given through various media, so the Diaspora actually knows its helping, rather than 4 years after donating seeing a half completed road and
wondering where the 7 million dollars meant to construct it actually went?

If this sort of system is not set up when I begin residing in Armenia (hopefully in 2004), It is something that I would definitely pursue as I feel it is one of many ways that the Diaspora collectively could become a major boost to Armenia's economy.

Other simple things such as the worldwide Armenian Public TV H1 could show simple commercials with telephone numbers for ways of donating money to Armenia, or perhaps charge a small subscription for the channel, so the government money could be used elsewhere (perhaps for more Mercedes?)

Thanks again, I hope you didn�t get too bored during my ramblings!

####


Well I don�t know if anyone was touch by this letter, but I sure was. This is from the mouth of a 16 year old, that seems to have the wisdom of a 60 year old. If you call that rambling, then ramble on, because what you said was like music to my ears.

First I want to say �half� Armenian or not, your spirit and soul is 100% Armenian. You represent the kind of people that are needed in Armenia today. If there is anything I can do to help realize your plan to move here in 2004, just ask.

Though there were many important things that were addressed in this letter, I think I will only touch on three of them. Let me talk about investments, corruption and donations.

Investment: It was stated that there is not a system in place for small investments. This is true and not true. The truth is that when someone comes to Armenia and goes to the government to look for investing, in most if not all cases they get hooked up with some company or person that presents a venture that requires tens of thousands of dollars (I�ve personally encountered this). In many cases, said investments are padded so money can be made by people not even connected to said venture (I�ve encountered this too). They also make it seem like it�s a deal that is too good to be true and worth taking a second mortgage out on your house (almost did that). So when the investor finally sees through the smoke (hopefully before putting their money in, which I only put a little in out of temporary stupidity), they are not only offended, but so turned off that they wont even consider investing at all in Armenia (been there, done that, but fortunately turned on and not off by I guess another spell of temporary stupidity).

I remember a friend of mine who is an economist, telling me after learning of a group of business people that were coming to look at investing here in Artsakh, that I must try to attract them to come see me for help to find investments, so they are not �poisoned� by the government officials they were planning on meeting. Unfortunately, I was not successful in attracting them (thought I knew their organizer), and would guess that they were either not serious and just visiting for a picture with the President, or were turned off, because none of them to date have invested in business here as far as I know.

The way I see investment needs to be done here so one is successful is that one must first do a small test investment that if it fails, won�t effect ones financial well being too badly. After learning and getting use to the system, one can make larger investments. In the first investment, I also recommend finding a local to partner with. I say this, as they will help you to learn the system better. I�ve done just this and for a $1,500 investment, I started a small company that makes sweats. I put up all capital, lending my local partner his needed capital for his 40% share. We have not seen a profit yet, but have only been in business for 3 months. The process of registering and licensing and so on, has been worth more than $1,500 to me and even if the business fails (which I don�t think it will), as the education I received will be of greater value to the next venture (which I�ve already started to lay the ground work for). Another nice part of my test business is that my local partner is also learning a lot about Western business practices and ethics.

Another option for investment, which I am planning on doing for those that don�t have the time to be here to run a business but want to invest $50 or more, is to start an investment corporation where one can purchase shares. I don�t want to do this yet, as I still have not graduated from �Artsakh Business 101� and would not want to take a risk with other peoples money without first receiving my �diploma�. You will be sure to know about this when I start it.

Corruption: Corruption is ripe but doesn�t exist for those that don�t play into it or use it as a tool to do business. For me, there is no corruption because I don�t pay bribes and have made it clear to the people in power that I will not tolerate it at all. In the four years I have been here, I�ve only encountered one unpleasant situation that comes to mind, which I quickly set straight, thus getting a reputation for having zero tolerance to such practices. Any business I have done has been strictly by the book and I have had no problems whatsoever as a result of not giving corrupt people ammunition to black male me. In short, work clean, stand your ground and you should have no problems.

Donations: If you ask any local, they will tell you that they just don�t help. They don�t want your donation, because they never see them and only make corrupt people more corrupt and powerful. I have also heard objections from locals to donations or aid, because it makes people beggars and lazy. According to an official at the Red Cross in Yerevan (which I think I even read someplace), more that 50% of all donations, aid and loans do not get to the place they were intended. If you want to make a donation, the best way is to first make sure the organization you are giving to is not tied in any way to the government or is not (I hate to say this), run by locals. If in doubt of organizations, find someone that is coming to Armenia to hand your gifts out to people they encounter that seem to be in need.

In closing, if we deal only in business investments and whenever possible, partner with the locals while doing so, we will not only take a bite out of poverty, but we will also put a major dent in corruption and lessen the need for donations.

No comments:

Post a Comment