Tuesday, March 26, 2002

It appears that the answers to my questions are in and after pondering what the best way to present them would be, I decided that over the next 4 days I will post each one in the order received. I will take the liberty to edit if need be. I will also add my comments in Italics, if I feel there is a need to add something. With that said, here is letter #1:

I really appreciate your logs. I can honestly say that both our visions of Armenia, Karabagh and the issue of Armenianness in or outside of Armenia are very similar. Sometimes I think that what you have written is something I've said out loud to someone who has in return said it to you. I am anxiously waiting for that day that I will meet you and finally have a chance of discussing these issues face to face. I am tentatively preparing to move to Armenia with my family next may. I can't wait.

To answer your question about why I help(ed) Armenians in Armenia. First reason is because I am human. Second is that I am a citizen of the world and I feel that it is my duty to help my fellow (wo)man. Third, I am of Armenian origin, thus attached to some set of values and cultural beliefs. These are basically the short answers to your question. Further to that, I have had the opportunity to meet people in Armenia, create relationships with them and put a name and face to these "brothers and sisters". To me they are now not only people that need our help, but they are Ashod, Anahid, Abel Levig, Alina and so on that are living in a situation that is intolerable. And as their friend, I will try and do my best to work with them to get out of this situation. I will teach them what they lack and give them the resources that they need and let them develop their community the way they think is best.

As for the class of people who find Armenia to be a "novelty" they unfortunately exist in Canada as well.

All the best Ara and keep up your spirits and keep pushing people to ask themselves these very important questions. There are many who read your logs out there and I am sure that you motivate a great number of them as you have motivated me.

Thanks,

No comments:

Post a Comment