Saturday, March 30, 2002

Not to be redundant, but I want to wish everyone a Happy Easter.

I was going to log yesterday, but I was really tired from sleeping late the night before and then having to get an early start in the morning.

Yesterday afternoon I went to Stepanagert as there were a ton of things to do.

On the way there in the rain, my windshield wipers stopped working. It became clear that it was an electrical problem, so I went to the only auto electrician I know of in Stepanagert. His shop is on Alex Manoogian Street. I got there and called for him (his name is Samuel) and out comes this kid of maybe 14 years old. He asks me what the problem is and tells me to pull the car into the garage out of the rain. In a couple of minutes, this kid, whose name is Sasoon, has the windshield wiper motor and all the linkages and so on out and on the work bench. Well to make a long story short, he cleaned, adjusted, tested and so on the whole system in about a half-hour with the confidence that Samuel commands. I asked where Samuel was and he said that he went to Russia, as business was not good. It turns out that Sasoon is Samuel�s son. So I paid him 1,000 dram he asked for (I wanted to pay more, but have learned in the past that doing that is almost an insult) and went on my way. I didn�t ask if he was going to school or not, but will say that here is a kid who is working to help out his family. I later find my self at a glass shop and the guy there who knows Sasoon said that he is now probably the best auto electrician in Stepanagert and if he plays his cards right, will do well for himself.

So Stepanagert was a full day of running around looking for things and meeting with people.

I got home at 8:00 p.m., just in time for the weekly on-line chat of the Armenian Diaspora conference deal. I was really tired and didn�t have time to shower of get into my best meeting pajama�s, so for those that were on-line, if you detected a little tension or a light smell of grunge, you now know why.

I have to say that this gathering was much better then the last one. This time they had 4 business people from the Diaspora that are doing business in Armenia. I knew a couple of them, including Nigol. So there were some really good questions and equally good answers. I guess they are going to post all these gatherings on the ArmeniaDiapora.com website and for those that are planning on doing business in Armenia, you my get a few of your questions answered by reviewing that transcript of that meeting.

Well I have to get going, as I have to go to the village to check on the cookie factory and then back to Martuni by 6 for a birthday party.

No comments:

Post a Comment