Saturday, March 23, 2002

National Duty or National Novelty?

As a frequent reader of Groong.org, I always wonder who else other than me reads it? Then I wonder other than me, what do said readers get out of reading Groong? I wonder how reading about economic developments; cultural events; history; human rights offenses; Presidential bodyguards beating to death a Diaspora Armenian and the legal system not working so justice is served; Armenia getting itself more into debt and having to give its factories to satisfy said debts; corruption; poverty and the likes, affects them?

I�ll tell you what reading Groong does for me. It makes me happy to read about culture, national accomplishments and history. It makes me steaming mad when I read about unpleasant issues. When I read about unpleasant issues, I�m not turned off though, I�m turned on. I�m turned on and determined to do something to counter them.

The way I see it is I�m ethnic Armenian and my identity is completely tied to being Armenian. Armenia is the base from where my culture comes and is best preserved. For that, it is my duty to myself to do what I can to protect, defend and serve Armenia, thus preserving my culture and identity.

Now I�m not sure as to how others see it, but if you put down on a piece of paper how many Armenians live on national soil and how many don�t, you can see that there are many, many more people that live outside of Armenia. Why is this important? Well if you put on that same piece of paper how many people live in poverty here and how many live comfortably outside, then you will see that there should be more than enough to go around so those who live comfortably outside could easily eradicate poverty on national soil, all for the price of maybe not going to dinner at a nice restaurant a couple times less a month (I�m figuring that the cost of two nice meals in the U.S. is about $50 and this represents the minimal food allocation a month per person here). Not to say that this is the answer, but this is like emergency room treatment that must be administered and then we need to snap out of our state of denial and collectively face the issues that got us to where we are today.

Here is another something to think about the next time you are sitting down for a meal. Before you take your first bite of food, think about your grandmother and/or ancestors that were affected by the genocide of 1915 and how they were facing starvation and death. Then in your head, wish that someone were there to help them so those family members who died of starvation had lived and had families of their own. Then think about how if you were around, you would have done everything to help them, including putting your own well being into jeopardy. Then ask yourself if you are doing all you can so people like your grandmother and/or ancestors who are in the same situation today in Armenia will not face starvation. After all this, if you are able to enjoy your meal, more power to you.

I have a question for everyone and ask that you write to me and answer, because I really am having a hard time to understand this. What has caused the change in attitude so that the people today, who are facing what your grandmother was facing when she was a child, are not worth doing something about. Then my next question is to those people that already do help out (this would be the people that have helped in any way, including a one time donation 10 years ago). I want to know why you help or helped out. I will post the answers in a later log, so we can all have a better understanding as to what we can do to better address this issue.

As for the national novelty in the title, that is in reference to those people that read and know about our present situation and do nothing. I have met a number of people like this in the U.S. who have the capabilities beyond my wildest imagination, but they find that Armenia is just a novelty and something to talk about at social gatherings. Those are the people that I feel the most sorry for, as to me that is an indication that the �ian� that is tacked on the end of their name (some have even dropped the �ian�) is just 3 letters that have no real meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment