Friday, March 15, 2002

I went to Yerevan last weekend and came back to Artsakh on Tuesday. It was a great trip and I spent the whole time visiting friends and relatives.

I guess the highlight of this visit had to be the Sushi party we had a Madlene�s house on Monday. Yes, you heard it right, I said Sushi. My very creative mother had sent me a bunch of stuff (everything but the kitchen sink), including everything we needed to make Sushi rolls (all but the perishable goods). We found Avocado�s and really tasty smoked salmon at the market near Madlene�s house. All I can say is that it was very easy to make, thanks to the 5 in 1 Sushi miracle mold. Everyone was really enjoyed themselves.

My mother also sent me some videos and after dinner we watched Assignment Berlin, which is the story about the trial of Soghomon Tehlerian following his assassinating Tallat Pasha. It was interesting, but lacked what I thought were some very relevant historical facts. I guess in 94 minutes, you can only show so much and for that we should all applude the Producer-Director Hrayr Toukhanian for his devotion and persistency to make it.

The ride back to Martuni was long and I came home to find that work had moved forward in the area of construction on my house. Were now continuing cement work and today my contactor went to look to see where we can get some sand and gravel. It may sound strange, but it�s not like there is a depot that has it waiting for pick-up. You have to go to the abandoned territories and look around to see who forgot to take the sand and gravel with them when they fled.

Last night I went to a birthday party for someone in the village of Gishi. It was for uncle Albert, who turned 70 years old. He was very active in the movement for independence and unity of all Armenians. It was the first time we met and he had many interesting stories and advice to share with me. There were maybe 50 people there, including most of his 18 grandchildren, all of whom loved my digital camera.

Today I went to the village of Spitagashen, where I picked-up some furniture I ordered last year (a solid Oak double bed and some side tables). They are soooo beautiful and really well built. When I get them set-up I�ll take a picture and post it (that may not be for a couple of weeks, as the mattress has to come from Yerevan). The guy who made them also had a couple of solid Oak single beds, which he had built for someone in Stepanagert, but when it came time to deliver, the person who placed the order told him they no longer needed them. I bet it was because they were late with the order (mine was 5 months late). So I agreed to purchase them and all they have to do is make the sideboards longer so my guests that are taller than 5 feet can sleep without bumping their feet on the baseboard. The next thing I�ll order will be a dining room table and 12 armchairs that when you take off the top off the table, it turns into a pool table. Yes, not only will we be eating, but we will be playing. The office is now going to be the formal dining room/game room, since it may be some time that we get the real formal dining room finished.

I�m working on my plan for the downstairs bathroom, which I decided to make so not only will it cost much less than the other bathrooms to build, but will be really unique. I decided that it will have a fancy marble/granite floor and the walls and ceiling will be a combination of mirrors and opaque glass, which will be lit from behind by florescent light. It will also have a fish tank in the wall between the garage and the bathroom, as to let in natural light and the fish should help one relax while thinking. It should be really interesting when it�s finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment