Saturday, January 26, 2002

Though Sunday is to be a day of rest, for me it seems that Saturday has been my day of rest. I try to do things on Saturday that will not be too challenging. With the high today around 65f, I elected to take a nice long walk to air out my body and without thinking about it, I ended up walking 22 kilometers.

During my walk I was thinking about my life and the roads I�ve chosen. My being here and not in the U.S. was probably one of the best decisions I could have ever made. I can say that I have no regrets.

When I was in Yerevan, I was talking to the guy that Lena wrote about that sponsored her pizza dinner and he was telling me about his life in the U.S. and how he suffers from a condition where his jaw hurts all the time, which he recognizes as being caused by stress. He said that when he comes to Armenia, that condition goes away. It reminded me that when I go to the U.S. I get headaches and other stress related discomforts, that never seem to bother me when I�m here. I think it must have something to do with being at peace with myself.

I�m always asking myself about why in this world there are so many things that just don�t make sense? I mean here is Armenia, like I�ve said before, we really don�t have a logical reason to have so many people living in poverty. Well in my quest for answers to the burning question of poverty, I had the good fortune to come across a book while in Yerevan, written by Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer called �War Against the Poor�. The subject matter really hit home, as much of what it talks about, I see going on in Armenia today. Did it address the poverty question? You bet. The book is about Low-Intensity Conflict, which appears to be a technique the U.S. uses to fight to protect their national valuables against envious �have nots.� Ever wonder why such organizations as the World Bank, International Monetary Fund and USAID exist? Adding together what I�ve read in this book and personally seeing what they do and the end results, it now make more sense to me what their true fuction is. Do what they do contribute to our problems today? Well I�ll let you read the book and draw your own conclusions.

I would recommend you get a copy of the book since it�s only 100 pages long, but it appears that Amazon.com does not list it and BarnesAndNoble.com knows about it, but does not stock it, nor does their used book service have any copies available. For that reason, I went ahead and scanned and tuned it into text. For those of you that are interested in reading it (it�s 290k in size), write to me and I�ll send you a free copy.

I guess the next logical step would be that we as a nation have to figure out what we can do in order to be a little less effected by this Low-Intensity Conflict that it seems we are facing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment