Tuesday, January 29, 2002

Yesterday I got water, which meant a couple of loads of laundry and a nice LONG hot shower. The clothes dryer is working great!!! I don�t know how I lived without it for so long. What�s strange is that there are so many people here who really think that a clothes dryer is not healthy and to properly disinfect clothes, they must be showered with the suns rays. I�m not sure if this is true or not, but this advice comes from the same people that think that a baby must be wrapped up tight in a blanket for the first few months of their lives so that their legs, arms and head will be straight. All I can say is that I don�t get infections from my clothes, nor are my legs bowed.

On Sunday night when I was over at my neighbor�s house for dinner, I was told that the local chicken farm had slaughtered their last batch of chickens and by morning, they would be in the stores. This is the 3rd or 4th time that I have seen chickens come out of the chicken farm, since it was purchased by a Diaspora-Armenian in 1999. The chickens are 54 days old and on average 1 kilo (2.2 lbs.) in size and cost 800 dram per kilo (65 cents a pound). I�m told by people that work at the farm, that these are all natural chickens that are given a special feed which is brought in from Russia, that has special chicken vitamins mixed in (not hormones).

The following morning I went to the store and got a couple of chickens, which I dropped off at my neighbor�s house, who cooked them up for dinner. I have to tell you that in all of my life, I have never had such tender chicken. It may be wise that I invest in buying 10 more of these chickens and keeping them in the freezer, since it could be some time before we see some more chickens come from the farm.

Today is a little chilly. Right now the outside temperature is 16.4c (62F) and rising. I read Shooshig�s log and went to the weather site she linked and learned that where I lived in California, it�s now colder than it is here (high and low). I�m told by the local elders that we are maybe looking at another month of weather like this, with maybe snow in mid February. Then things should start to get hotter.

Well I�ve got to get going. I don�t know how many people use to watch The Andy Griffith Show. For those of you that know what I�m talking about, I kid you not, I�m living in the Armenian equivalent. Today I�ll go to the barbershop for a haircut and learn the latest gossip. I guess there are a few differences between Mayberry, R.F.D., and Martuni, NKR. One of the differences that come to mind is that they don�t play checkers at the barbershop. They play chess (you were expecting me to say backgammon, right?). Another fond observation is the telephone operators. Though none of them are named Sara, they do listen into your conversation and even one time when I was talking to some in Yerevan that spoke more Russian than Armenian, the operator cut in and translated something for me that I didn�t understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment