Sunday, January 27, 2002

Today was not my day of rest. I did house cleaning and would have done laundry, but it seems a fitting on my main water pipe broke again and I lost all my water. Will this water problem ever end? I went down to the general store and got what I needed to make the repairs. As I was fixing the pipe, a friend came over with a friend of hers that needed to e-mail off a couple of x-rays to a doctor in Russia. At first the friend was a bit reluctant to give me the x-rays and said something about it being a bit amot (rude). I didn�t have a clue what the x-ray was of and only after I realized the big thick white line in the middle was not a bone, but was what separated 2 pictures. Then it clicked and I realized that it was pictures of this woman�s breast we were scanning. I mean poor thing, I know with our culture how difficult it must have been to come and ask me (male and from America) to send the x-rays. So here is this woman that fears that she has cancer and now having to bring pictures of her breasts to Ara�s house, was just that much more to pile on top of her problems. She told me that she had gone to the Erebuni hospital in Armenia for a breast examination and the young girl that had just been trained the day before took a look at the x-ray and gave her a clean bill of health. She was not too happy with the diagnosis and wanted a second opinion, so she contacted a doctor friend in Russia to take a look at what we send her. Well the scanner didn�t do too well, so we resorted to the digital camera and a flashlight. I was not too happy with the quality, but we sent the pictures off anyway. I told her about the mammogram center that Madlene use to work at and how they have the latest methods to check. I was not sure if they charge for the examinations, but even if they do, I would think that if you suspect cancer, it would be worth the investment. On the other hand, this woman had already spent 7,600 dram at Erebuni hospital, which she didn�t have, not to mention the $26 round-trip ticket to get there and back. I guess money is always a problem here. We finished with sending the x-rays and I drove my guest home. On the way to their house, the woman with the x-rays asked me what is so good about this place that I would leave America for it? She said that many people don�t understand me and why I would leave such a wonderful life back in America for this life. I told her that for me it is a simple choice. This is our land, like it or not. It may not be the most ideal place in the world to live today, but one day, I think it�s going to get better than what it is today, and even if it�s not going to get better, it�s all we have left. So I dropped them off and went back home to finish my plumbing repairs. Tomorrow is water day, so maybe I will get enough so I can do a couple of loads of laundry. Well I have to get going. My neighbor just called me to come join them for dinner, so I've got to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment