Thursday, January 24, 2002

I�m back from my �Vacation�. As you may have read, from Lena and Madlene�s log, I went to Yerevan. I guess I�ve been trying to do this for a few weeks now, but road conditions have not been favorable for making it a safe trip. So with a break in the weather, I purchased a roundtrip ticket, which left downtown Martuni, got me delivered to Hotel Madlene and then back home. Good investment and only cost me $26.

Madlene was the perfect hostess and her house was quite impressive. Though there was a water issue, as she said in her log, we resolved it. The thick walls and well sealed double windows allowed the house to heat to a comfortable temperature and never once did I get even a bit uncomfortable.

The first night was dinner and dancing with everyone (those that are braving the Yerevan winter). The middle of my visit was with friends and relatives. My last night was a dinner that Madlene put on where we had her Iranian rice. Let me tell you, the whole trip was worth it just for that rice. Madlene didn�t think there was enough garlic, but I thought it was fabulous. Madlene, don�t let it get to your head, but it really was good and you know it. The people that you invited were also quite pleasant and the conversation was great!!!

While I was in Yerevan, I added a piece of modern technology to my arsenal of things needed for convenient living, thanks to Madlene. Madlene knows someone that has a wholesale outlet of various imported products, including household appliances. From there she had purchased all of her appliances, including a German or Italian made Whirlpool clothes dryer. Now for someone living in America, this would not be a big deal, but here, clothes dryers are almost non-existent. I mean my washing machine has a built in dryer, but according to the instructions, you can only put in 2 pounds of clothes for it to work and even then, it takes forever to almost dry. Well I decided that a clothes dryer was a must for me and the price was unbeatable at $150. Yes, brand new, just not showroom saleable due to a ding or scratch (I�m still trying to figure out which one mine has), which brought it back to the warehouse to be sold below wholesale. It fit in the back of the van and is now set-up next to my washer, ready to dry the next load of laundry, which is washing right now. You can�t imagine what a chore it use to be to dry laundry in the winter.

Now for the weather report. I have no idea what is going on here, but for some reason it got up to 60f today. There really is no evidence of winter here. I mean there are a few spots of snow where the sun does not shine, but other than that, you would think it is Spring or something. I�ve got the front door of my house open right now to air out things. One thing I fear is it may warm up and the trees will blossom and then we get a cold snap and the flowers will drop off, thus resulting in no fruit again. This happened last year and as a result, this winter people do not have much in their food reserve as far as jams, jellies and preserves.

Well I hope everyone is doing well and you didn�t miss me too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment