Sunday, April 07, 2002

Day before yesterday, my dump truck went to deliver some building materials for the Martuni wine factory, which is being remodeled and updated. On the last run, the slip-disk between the motor and transmission wore out. We knew this was going to go out at some point, but didn�t know when.

So yesterday my driver and a couple of mechanic�s worked on taking out the worn parts so I could go to Stepanagert to get replacement parts. They finished up with dropping the transmission at 6 PM and I called the auto parts store where I got the new tires from to see if they had what I needed. They told me yes. I asked what time they close and they said 7 PM. I told them I would be late and the guy there gave me his home phone number and told me to call when I get to the store.

I got to Stepanagert at 8 PM and went to look for a phone to call the guy. I went into a store across the street from the auto parts store and asked if I could use their phone? The woman was busy serving paying customers and ignored me. I waited until she was done and asked again. She said in a rude tone that she could not let me use the phone. I guess I took it the wrong way and told her in a semi-rude tone that she could have told me that when I first asked so I didn�t have to wait so long. I walked up the street asking in small shops, but none had a phone. The last shop I asked, a very nice and helpful woman pointed me to the corner where there was a payphone. I walked over, purchased a phone token (30 dram) and called the auto parts store guy.

Within 3 or 4 minutes he arrived and opened the store for me, apologizing for being late. I told him that I was the one who came late. He gave me the parts I needed, but didn�t have axel oil that I needed and didn�t have any idea as to where I could find it in Stepanagert at that hour, but said that I could find it in Askeran, which is on the way back to Martuni. I thanked him and left.

I went to fill my gas tank and canisters up at the usual place where they sell super gasoline, as all the other gasoline has 20%+ diesel mixed in it when it comes from Armenia and who knows how much more they add when it get here. This gas is not good for the motor or carburetor, thus I spend a few extra dram to get real gasoline. I asked the gas station attendant if they had the oil I needed and he said they use to, but recently ran out. He told me that he had seen it in Askeran and I could get it there. I thanked him and left.

I drove to a gas station near Askeran and asked about the oil. No, they didn�t have it, but said that they have it at the auto parts store at the edge of town, before you get to Aghdam, but it would be closed at this hour. I thanked them and left.

Fortunately, I know Garen, the owner of the auto parts store, as he is from Martuni and two years ago, was the only one in Askeran that I could find to fix my car at a late hour when the water-pump went out.

In the dark I surprised myself and found Garen�s house. I knocked on the door, but there was no answer. I knocked on the neighbor�s door and asked if they knew where Garen was? The woman didn�t know and asked her 6 year old son Samuel if he knew? He said that they went to their cousin�s house. The mother sent me off with Samuel to the cousin�s house, which was at the next entry of their building. We found Garen�s wife and kids, but Garen had gone off to Martuni. I had not met her before and didn�t tell her who I was, so to her I was just a stranger in need of some auto parts. She walked back over to her house and got on the phone and made a couple of calls. She told me to go to the store and someone would meet me there. I thanked her and headed to the store.

I got to the store and in a couple of minutes a car pulled up. A man got out and opened the store. He asked me what I needed and I told him. He said that it would be better if we got the oil from the gas station down the street, which belonged to him. I told him that I needed 10 liters of the oil, but I had no bottles or canisters to put it in. He said that this would be difficult and got on his cell phone and called the gas station to ask if they had any canisters, or would we need to get them elsewhere? He finished his call and said they are waiting for me and would loan me a couple of 5 liter canisters if I promised to return them the next time I pass by. I agreed, thanked him and headed to the gas station.

I pulled up to the gas station and outside was waiting the attendant with canisters in hand. We went over to an area of their yard where there were oil barrels. I helped him fill a pail with the oil and then held the funnel while he filled the canisters. I paid him and thanked him for the use of the canisters and promised to return them the next time I go to Stepanagert. He thanked me and said that if there was anything I needed in the future, to just ask.

I got back to Martuni at 10 PM with everything I needed. To say the least, I was very happy.

It�s kind of strange and at the same time a welcome sight to notice a this change in people these last couple of months. They seem to be changing back to the way they use to be a few years ago when I first moved here. Some people are still rude and dishonest, but so many have in a way learned to be more accommodating and trusting to others (they use to be like this before and then some changed, not trusting and acting unjustifiably rude). I guess the �me first and the hell with everyone else" was getting to people in a way that they understood that it was not good. On the other hand, maybe these are just people that I never encountered before and they have always been this way? I can�t say they were being so nice to me because they detected that I was not from here, as I�ve learned how to talk like them and in some ways move and dress like them. Maybe it was because I was polite to them and they felt the need to reciprocate? I�m not sure, but I like what I�ve been seeing lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment