Tuesday, April 16, 2002

Last Sunday after getting back from a long walk and getting ready to go to the Mayor�s house for our weekend barbeque, some unexpected visitors arrived to my house. I knew they were from America, from the way they were dressed and the way one of them said �Parev�.

I invited them in and soon learned that they were K and D, that Nigol wrote about. I asked them if they were the ones that had some problems at the Artsakh representatives office? You should have seen the look on their drivers face. He asked how did I know? I told him that word travels fast around here and then admitted that Nigol had logged about it. We logged on and I showed them the log and comments. We had a good laugh over it.

I asked him about his telling the representative that he will take them where he chooses and he said no, he told the representative that it�s not up to K and D as to where they want to go, it�s up to him where he drives them and he knows better than to take them into restricted zones. I guess the log could read that way too.

So I called to the Mayor to tell him that we would be having 3 more people to our barbeque so he could prepare more.

We sat and talked and it�s interesting that not only were K and D interested in what I was saying, but they shared much of the same opinions that I had. We talked about many of the recent issues that I and others have been logging.

We went to the Mayor�s house and had a wonderful barbeque. Though I always have a good time on Sunday�s at the Mayor�s house, this one seemed even better. We talked and laughed so much. One thing the Mayor pointed out was that he sees that in America, when people tell a dry joke (one that could be taken seriously), they end it by saying �I�m just joking�, where here when people tell that kind of joke, they don�t say that. Here when people tell something serious, they say �I�m serious�. He concluded that more things in America must be serious than a joke, where here most everything is a joke and we have to remind people when we are serious about something.

Throughout our dinner, K and D were complimenting the Mayor and his family for everything and you could tell from their faces that their compliments were genuine. The Mayor told them at one point that he gets the feeling that America (referring to the government) like to pay many compliments to other countries but their actions reflect something other than their compliments. He added that he saw that the compliments that they were extending truly came from the heart. After that, D wanted to pay a compliment and first said I don�t want you to think that I�m just complimenting you because I�m an American, but� We all laughed.

K told the Mayor and his family how he really loved how people here are so friendly. He said that they are giving of themselves in this case of their meal. He said that finding this kind of thing in America is very rare. He also talked about how in America, people don�t have that much time for family and so on and how rich the people here are to have that, as it is a very important thing.

So I invited K, D and the driver to stay over, which they accepted.

On the way home, K told me that he had brought a bag of clothes and toys that he was having problems passing out this whole trip and said that he wanted that bag of stuff to go to the Mayor and is family and with what they didn�t need to make sure gets to those that could truly use them.

We went to my house at 9:30 and logged on to the chat. I got the beds ready, while they started to chat and then later I joined in.

In the morning, we got up early to drive back together to Shushi, where they had left their stuff at the hotel there and I was to pick of the bag of stuff for the Mayor.

We went in two cars and K rode with me. On the way we talked about various things and when the conversation of America and the IMF and so on came up, K made the comment about how he believes that many Americans believe that America is the center of the universe. I mentioned to him about someone responding to one of Raffi K�s logs, made that same comment.

We talked about why is America looked on as so great and concluded that maybe it�s not so great and maybe America has figured out a way to convince people that it is greater than what it actually is by setting the standard of what greatness is measured by. If greatness is measured by how much time you have for your family and friends, I fear that America could come in last place.

We arrived in Shushi and said our goodbyes.

Last night, I went to the Mayor�s house, where I took them the bag of stuff. It was like Christmas all over again. The Mayor allowed his family to only take a few items and we decided who was in most need of the remaining stuff, which will be discreetly given to them later by the Mayor�s wife. I also took from the bag some toys, which I passed out to the kids in my neighborhood. That was a big hit!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment