Friday, April 12, 2002

Well I made the ArmeniaDiaspora.com chat tonight. It was with Judge Alvina Gyulumyan, Member of the Constitutional Court of the Republic of Armenia President of the Armenian Judges� Association.

I even made it home in time to take a shower and get in my comfy chat pajama�s!!!

I have to say that overall, it was the second most interesting chat on ArmeniaDiaspora.com that I have attended.

The main topics of discussion that interested me the most were citizenship and how much judges make?

As for dual-citizenship, she answered: �Generally, dual citizenship is regulated by bilateral agreements between the countries of which the dual citizen is a national. Dual citizenship generally presupposes both responsibilities and commensurate rights.�

As for the question of house much do Judges make and is it enough to live off of (which was one of my questions), she answered: �All levels of judges receive at least $300 per month, which is by Armenian standards, a living wage. For many judges, doubling or tripling their salaries would reduce outside pressures. Nevertheless, in the end, this is a matter of personal integrity. In comparison with other countries in the region, Armenia pays its judges better, even more than Georgia.�

Well I guess they do, as in Artsakh (which is another country in the region), the regional judge here in Martuni was making 82,000 dram (about $142). Thanks to the pension her children receive for their father being a martyred solider and my material and financial help whenever needed (I�m also her Godfather), she is just barley able to cover her most basic expenses. The lowest pay for judges here in Artsakh is 54,000 dram (about $94) a month.

I followed up my question with asking: �Are Judges subject to having their assets investigated?�

She answered: �Yes, we are subject to the same disclosure requirements as other public citizens.�

Then I guess there were too many questions being asked so a few that I and others asked didn�t get an answer (or maybe they did get answered but the chat room stopped working during the last 10 minutes of the hour on my computer) and they where:

1. (one of my questions) Have there yet been any cases where a Judge or for that matter other government officials found to have assets that they could not show where the money came to purchase?

2. How is the Democratic process working for the ordinary citizen in Armenia?

3. How many judges have been disbarred or prosecuted because of bribery?

4. Your Honor, how do you personally see the problem of corruption being addressed? What do you personally think are necessary steps that need to be taken by the government?

5. (After I asked this question, my computer stopped working. I guess it was even too hard a question for my poor computer) I live in Artsakh and see that people here don�t seem to trust the legal system. What do you think needs to be done so they will believe that the system will work for them?

Well maybe all these questions got answered after my computer stopped working and if they did, I�m sure we will find those answers in the session transcript.

No comments:

Post a Comment