Friday, April 12, 2002

Life in Artsakh is changing for better and worst for me.

When I came here, I had decided that I would be an anti-technologist and avoid getting all the big-boy toys I had in the states, leaving me more room to appreciate the simpler things in life.

That didn�t last long at all and changed 2 years ago, when after the content and peaceful life I lived for a year without a television set, was disrupted by my own stupidity and the acquisition of a television, VCR and satellite dish. Of course my life changed in a not so good way as the news from outside came into my home and my simple, carefree, uninformed life was filled with scary pictures and stories of the real world.

As soon as I learned to avoid turning on the television, I acquired an appetite for the internet and last year arranged to have a line installed in my bedroom so I could be connected to the world-wide-web at will, without even having to get out of bed, thus complicating my simple semi-carefree and lightly informed life with interactive scary pictures and stories of the real world.

My latest modern conveyance I acquired was a cellular phone. Yes, Artsakh now has a cellular phone system and stupidity won again and now I�m the not so proud owner of a state-of-the-art cellular phone which I can call anyplace in the connected world and people can call me. Will life ever be the same? Will I ever be carefree and uninformed again? At this rate, I fear not.

No comments:

Post a Comment