Monday, December 02, 2002

Enough already with the power-failures!!!

Last night the power went out and so did the heat. When I woke this morning it was freezing in my room (50f), which for some people may not be cold, but for me it�s really cold.

The power was restored at about 8 AM and before the temperature had a chance to rise, it went out again, coming back and going out all morning.

I decided not to wait until it got warm and bundled up and in the snow (which is still falling now) went to my upper storage area, got the marble slabs that go under my woodstove (they were very cold and I forgot to wear gloves � Ouch), the woodstove and a sack of wood.

I installed the stove, put in a couple of pieces of wood, put some scraps of paper in and then went to the kitchen to get some matches.

In the kitchen I went to the drawer where I keep the matches and found there were no matches. I guess my smoking friends over the summer had used them all up.

So I plugged in the hotplate (thank goodness the power was on) and with just the right materials, I was able to get a fire lit, take it to the woodstove and light it on the first try!!!

Well as I write this, the stove is burning away and my room is warming up.

Bring on the power-failures cause I�m ready for them (I bet we wont have another power-failure for the rest of winter).

Mental note: Get matches from the store or make scraps out of old underwear with shoe-polish on them to light on hotplate.

No comments:

Post a Comment