Monday, July 28, 2003

Okay, now that I got the 5 nice happy logs out of the way, it�s now time to let off a little bit of steam.

Like I said, in the last 5 days, things have been quite nice and there seemed to be only a few social and economic issues that came up, but nothing really worth backtracking and writing about.

Today I ran into the assistant Martuni prosecutor, who told me he was on vacation and upon his return, he received my complaint about the fish farm and the illegal fishing that took place back in May.

I followed him to his office and we talked about what had happened.

He told me that I should not be too positive that the people involved will openly talk to him and agree to be witnesses. He said the people here don't care too much for the law and in most cases will just act stupid and in the end, not provide anything of use.

We called my fish farm manager Slavik, who came right over and without too much asking, told everything that he could, which in itself was all the evidence we needed to prosecute the culprits.

Then we called Arthur, the guard that was involved with the stealing of the fish and allowed the fisherman to fish without checking with us first. He too said all that he had to and didn't conceal what happened. He even admitted that he did steal, knowing it was wrong.

After Slavik and Arthur left, the assistant prosecutor sat back in his chair and told me that he was very impressed and was not expecting Slavik or Arthur to be so honest with him. He said that I was lucky to have Slavik working for me and it was clear that both Arthur and Slavik respected me, as what they did today was very uncommon here.

The assistant prosecutor went on to say that irregardless of what Nelson the fisherman says, he is looking at a very stiff punishment, as the law on hunting, when animals are multiplying is very strict and must be upheld at all costs.

Slavik and Arthur will return tomorrow to sign statements so that they can next call Nelson the fisherman to come an tell his side of the story.

As for my internet connection, it's now working at 12,000 bps, but it's constantly freezing up or getting cut off. This makes it hard to log or check e-mail. One good thing is that last night I was able to download all 259 messages from my KT e-mail account without being cut off. It only took 5 hours to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment