Saturday, January 24, 2004

I just got back from recovering my bulldozer from Jardar village. It was a last minute decision and the people who we were doing work for had violated our original verbal agreement and without my permission, got my accountant to rent it under unfavorable terms without my knowledge and by telling her that I knew about the conditions. It’s kind of her fault too for not confirming with me.

I sent the bulldozer off a couple of months ago to till a plantation which was suppose to be 30 hectors, but when we finished that plantation and measured, it was under 20 hectors and the person we were doing the work for had delayed the work from being done for 30 working days due to a dispute that had with the army over ownership of the land and in the end, the army’s tank practice area they were not going to let be turned into a planted field.

While I was home working today, my truck driver Lavrent came by to ask me why we were charging so little for renting the bulldozer. He had been helping the bulldozer operator to reinstall the drive chain (I can’t remember in English what they call this, but it is the chain that is used instead of tires), which the bulldozer operator had driven it a pit and the chain came off. They worked for 2 days to get it reinstalled.

So he told me that it seems that for 21,000 dram a hector is too low and I should raise the price to 25,000 to 30,000 a day in rent so when we get jerked around by the renter, they pay anyway. I told he that he was mistaken and the rent per hector was 25,000 dram. He said that didn’t add up as the bulldozer operator is getting 7,000 dram a hector, which means that since he gets a third, we are only getting 14,000 dram a hector.

We went down to see my accountant and she told me that they told her this was the agreement and how was she to know that the bulldozer operator would lie to her?

In the past, this same bulldozer operator had done work on the side and been paid in food goods with his thinking that I could not accuse him of stealing. I had warned my accountant of this so she could keep an eye out for such things in the future.

Our tractor was in Jardar plowing a 2 hector plantation for the same guy, I had thought, but Lavrent said that this was not true and it was for another guy who was a good guy named Arthur. I asked him which Arthur he is talking about? He described the guy and I asked if he was talking about Khachadouryan Arthur? He said he didn’t know the last name, but he knew he worked with the guy renting from us.

I asked how much Arthur is paying per hector and was told 21,000 dram. I immediately decided that the tractor must be returned to Martuni, as the Arthur he is talking about I can only classify as a prostitute. He is the guy that a couple years back had got ahead and cut up pipes that we were suppose to send to Lachin for a project without my permission and sold them to people in Armenia or Iran. He also is the one that dug up the rest of the pipes that were suppose to be used for gasification to one of our military bases. He is also the brother of the teacher I wrote about who claimed my dog ate her chickens, when everyone said her chickens were poisoned month before. Arthur did not have a written agreement with us to do work and I didn’t care if he was not going to pay us for what he had done, in no way would I allow my bulldozer help such a lowlife.

So I told Lavrent to go out to the bulldozer and take with him fuel so it could be driven back to Martuni. He really didn’t want to, but an order from me to him is an order and he knows I was not going to change my mind for any reason.

I called Lavrent a half hour later and asked him what was going on? He told me that the Sako, our bulldozer operator says it’s too late and he is tired to drive the bulldozer back to Martuni and it should wait until morning. I said no, it’s coming back tonight and I am bringing out my driver and drive the jeep and he (Lavrent) can drive the bulldozer. Keep in mind, Lavrent is a tank driver and a bulldozer to a tank driver is a toy.

I called my driver who came to my office and we drove out the bulldozer where I left my driver and didn’t offer a ride to the bulldozer since I didn’t have room in my car for such a person and he could if he chose, drive back in my jeep or bulldozer.

I returned to Martuni and went to Era’s house for dinner, as she had called me earlier in the day to invite me for Dolma.

As I was finishing up my meal, I got a call from the Mayor of Jardar, who was the one that had originally rented my bulldozer asking me what had happened with my bulldozer driver and I?

I told him that our original agreement and the agreement that he ended up entering in did not make sense and instead of me making money, I was in fact loosing money and it didn’t make sense to allow the work to continue. On top of that, I had work in Martuni for my bulldozer and had expected it back here a month ago, but due to his delay, it was late and the weather would change soon and again I would be the one to suffer.

He told me that he wanted to talk to me and would pay more if need be, but I had to contact the bulldozer and have them turn back. I told him that they were already half way to Martuni and if he would like to talk, he can come over to Era’s house for tea and we could talk. He said that if I had no intentions to turn the bulldoze back around, the only place we would talk is in court. I told him in a cheerful voice that it was fine with me and he hung up and I started to laugh.

So who is this guy? Well he is the cousin of the Artsakh Prosicutor General Mavrik Ghoukasyan and one of the big offenders of taking out much needed building materials, mainly pipes and selling them off to the Armenians and Iranians.

I called my driver to see where they were and found out they were nearing Martuni. I drank my tea and headed out to meet them.

Lavrent didn’t have any lights on, as I guess the ones on the bulldozer was not working. My driver was driving the jeep behind him, lighting up the way.

I got up behind him and intensified the illumination, which allowed him to drive faster. He was just driving along and at no time did we get stopped by anyone while I was with them, but I knew that Genodik was in Martuni (this is what he told me on the phone) and as we were passing the outskirts of Martuni, I spotted Arthur’s jeep coming in the opposite direction.

We made our way to my house and parked the bulldozer.

I told him about my call from Genodik and he told me that he had encountered him on the road and was asked to turn back around and had said some very nasty words about me, which he said were not worth repeating and said that he told Genodik he if he had anything to say to me, he could say it to my face.

Lavrent went on to say that Sako, the bulldozer driver had gathered up all the wrenches from the bulldozer (though when I gave him the bulldozer, I provided the tools with it, which means they where mine) in an attempt to prevent Lavrent from reattaching the front plowing knife and didn’t help him in anyway. What he didn’t understand is that Lavrent had orders to bring the bulldozer back to Martuni and being that during battles, Lavrent had himself go out and with little or no tools, brought back crippled tanks, he left Sako surprised when he alone and with the help of some wires, reattached the front plowing knife and tightened the bolts by hand, just enough to keep it attached. Lavrent added that when he was working and Sako had gathered up the tools so he could not do his job, Sako told Lavrent that he didn’t differentiate Lavrent from his own children. Lavrent said that he pitied any child that had a parent like him.

Well tomorrow morning after we get the bolts tightened on the bulldozer, and give it a good look, it will start working on leveling my road and also get the gravel pit ready for the excavator to load up the gravel to cover my road.

No comments:

Post a Comment