Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Oh I love my neighbors, but man am I tired of this dependency some of them have on the rest of us, namely me.

As I mentioned in the past, I am having some road renovation being done on my street and one of the things we installed yesterday was drain pipes so instead of water running over the road in areas where we end up with pools of water, it will run under the road.

One spot is in front of my neighbor Garen’s house, where his roof and yard run-off water he was diverting into the street, thus a pool would form.

I supplied the equipment, materials and welder to install the pipe and being that it is Garen’s house, he helped also with labor. We finished with his part of his pipe that crosses the road, so we could fill in the ditch so cars could pass and today we are adding a pipe so the water will not get dumped into the neighbor below his yard (this was the understanding we had yesterday)

A little while ago, Garen comes by to tell me that Valaric the neighbor below had complained to him about the pipe and how he is going to plug it up since it will dump water into his yard. Garen said that he didn’t know what to do?

I asked him if he told Valaric that we were going to be adding pipe to divert the water away from his yard? He said no. I said that it would be a good idea to do this.

The other problem I’m having with this road project is the gravel and the loading of it on the truck.

My regular excavator operator Janig went to Russia to work, as he now has 5 children as the economic opportunities here are not all that good. In the summer he farmed watermelon, but once that was over and so he didn’t loose an opportunity his cousin offered him, he went to Russia to work for the winter.

Without Janig, we ended up hiring Gagik (nick name Tatik), who is a tractor operator and can kind of work an excavator. The only problem is that he is not all that good at loading up gravel and in the first 4 hours of work today, he was only able to load up 3 trucks of gravel. Yesterday, he worked a couple of hours and got 2 trucks loaded. In all, we need 25 trucks. In the past, Janig could load up 25 trucks in a day. On top of this, one neighbor is providing a truck, but can only do this for 2 days, today being the last day.

I called Lavrent at home to tell him that we need our truck brought out here to continue the work and though he hates to work the excavator, he knows how to load up gravel. This means that I am pulling my truck off a job in Stepanagert which means that 100 liters of fuel I will have to pay for just to get it here and back, not counting the tires and other parts that will ware as a result of it being driven here.

Oh if we only had an organized and non-corrupt government, I would not have a need to fix the public road that leads to my house and have to deal with the frustration and added expenses from my own pocket. At very least if things were normal, Janig would be here to load the gravel and be involved personally in the lives of his 5 children and his wife would have a husband living with her and not just sending money home to her so she can raise the kids (bad government = bad family life).

Thank you corrupt government for the motivational materials that reminds me that I need to fight corruption even harder. I will show you as much mercy as you have shown us and I plan on taking no prisoners.

On the other hand, I could just get a better jeep like all the corrupt officials do and not worry about roads and then those that have no jeep or are on foot can think about how to fix their roads.

We sure have lots of fixing to do here.

No comments:

Post a Comment