Friday, October 08, 2004

Oh boy, I am so birthday partied out!!!

Yesterday, I was going to go to the Mayor’s house to celebrate his birthday, but since his assistance father passed away, he decided that it would be better if we celebrated his birthday today.

So last night I went to the birthday part of my driver’s wife. It was a simple family gathering, with her grandparents from her mother’s side, her father, mother, brother, husband and me. Very simple, with enough food and drink, but again, nothing really fancy.

Tonight I had a birthday dinner with the Mayor and again it was very small, with only his family, mother and father, mother-in-law, a nephew (my future brother-in-law) and me. Again, very simple with not too much stuff on the table. We had one bottle of wine, which was sent to me by one of our readers, who I was going to save it to drink with my fiancé, since it was sent as a gift for my engagement, but since my fiancé does not drink at all, I decided that this too was a special occasion. BTW, the Mayor and his wife thought that it was one of the best wines they has ever drank and the only problem with it was that there was only one bottle.

Going back to my birthday, which was last weekend, my party was just me and my fiancé, which we didn’t have anyone over and just shared a meal of Chinese stir fried rice that I made. Again, very simple and no extra people, not that we could not afford to have a big party, but I was not in the mood.

In the tradition of years ago, and I am talking of after the fall of the Soviet Union, birthday parties for the most part have been very big deals, which I’ve logged about in the past, being very fancy with stacks and stacks of plates loaded up with so much food and so many people in attendance, that in the states, one goes into debt.

Things are starting to change and one of the topics of discussion I had with my future grandmother-in-law was how expensive it has become in Yerevan to live. She said that it’s not just Yerevan, but even in Martuni, things have gotten so expensive that as much as she tries to cut corners to save something, she is just not able to. The rate of inflation and her pension are not balanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment